Who we are at Embroker
Embroker is the digital insurance company committed to transforming business insurance. With a radically simple approach, Embroker is replacing the 1970’s technology of the insurance industry, with a first-ever end-to-end digital insurance platform that provides better coverage and reduced cost; all in minutes, not hours. Founded in 2015 and headquartered in San Francisco, Embroker has raised over $150M of funding from leading fintech investors.
Radically Simple > Needlessly Complex.
The value of this position
Pricing Actuary is a newly created role reporting to the Head of Pricing. The role is accountable for collaborating cross-functionally to support the development of innovative actuarial rating algorithms and business intelligence tools to monitor the portfolio and ensure profitable growth. The role will be at the forefront of research and development as Embroker expands into new markets and increases its product offerings.
What you will own in this role
- Own the research, development, and continuous improvement of the actuarial rating algorithms for a subset of Embroker’s digital products. High-level projects include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Assess Embroker’s current actuarial rating algorithms
- Analyze competitor’s rating algorithms
- Research innovative modeling techniques and internal/external data sources for more refined pricing and risk selection
- Perform frequency and severity trend studies
- Develop recommendations for actuarial rating algorithm refinements or total overhauls
- Communicate and present analysis findings across the organization to ensure key stakeholder buy-in
- Collaborate cross-functionally to implement rating algorithm refinements in both the Embroker platform and its Policy Administration Systems (PAS)
- Support Department of Insurance (DOI) rate filing process where applicable
- Build business analytics dashboards and tools to monitor the portfolio and ensure profitable growth
What experience we think is the right fit
- 5+ years of actuarial experience
- FCAS or ACAS credential from the Casualty Actuarial Society
- Bachelor's Degree
- Entrepreneurial and dynamic, looking to learn and flex both inside and outside the Actuarial function
- Experience developing and implementing innovative actuarial rating algorithms
- Experience communicating technical analysis to non-technical audience both verbally and in writing
- Experience effectively managing multiple projects and confronting ambiguity
- Experience designing creative solutions to solve complex insurance problems with limited historical data
- Excellent Excel skills and proficiency in a program language such as SQL, R, or Python
Our Pack at Embroker lives our values
- Pack First
We succeed and fail as one team. We always optimize for what is best for our entire organization. We communicate honestly and openly, treat each other with mutual respect, and assume positive intent in interactions.
- Create Magic
We deliver delightful experiences at every customer touchpoint and dedicate ourselves to make each one exceptional. We build transformational world-class products by applying our full creativity to find solutions to even the hardest problems.
- Be All-In
We make focused commitments. We are accountable to ourselves and each other to deliver on time. We move fast and attack challenges with relentless positivity. We build things that make us proud.
We believe that systemic structures and practices disproportionately disadvantage the most marginalized people in society — including people of color, people from working-class backgrounds, women, and LGBTQ people. We believe that these communities must be represented and included in the work we do, to make our Pack stronger, more creative, and improve the way we do business. We strongly encourage applications from people with these identities or who are members of other marginalized communities.