Payroll Specialist at Upwork
Upwork ($UPWK) is the world’s work marketplace. We help connect companies large and small with top independent talent from around the world. Simply put, our mission is to create economic opportunities so people have better lives.
Every year, more than $2 billion of work is done through Upwork by skilled independent professionals who want the freedom of working anytime, anywhere.
In this position, you process the overall payroll processing and administration including semi-monthly payroll processing, off-cycles, and payroll benefit reconciliation as well as superior customer service. Currently our employees are located in the United States except for a few international employees. But this candidate will have a chance to expand our payroll program outside of the United States as we grow internationally in the near future.Your Responsibilities:
- Prepare and process semi-monthly full cycle US exempt and non-exempt payroll; including but not limited to: imputed income, garnishments, benefits, taxes and off-cycle requests while ensuring compliance with Federal, State and local regulations.
- Ensure the accuracy of payroll, including but not limited to: base pay, bonuses, equity, compensation, commissions, payroll taxes, employee changes, new hires, 401K, medical, garnishments, H.S.A. and other deductions.
- Ensure that employee changes are entered correctly and made on a timely basis; review changes for proper authorization and adherence to APA policy including compliance with federal/state/local regulations.
- Monitor the administration of the electronic timekeeping system. Setup each employee, validate employee's charges, and adherence to FLSA; monitor submissions of approved timesheets, ensure valid data content to/from payroll service.
- Partner with Human Resources on all matters involving employees compensation, benefits and disability payments. Understand proper taxation of employer paid benefits, including 401(k) contributions and funding.
- Assist in other HR and accounting duties as applicable
- Experience processing payroll (inclusive of payroll processing across multiple states/sites and business units)
- Workday Payroll, Workforce Management, Reporting experience
- Demonstrated experience in payroll processing using Workday
- Excellent skills using MS Excel
- Ability to maintain confidentiality and exercise extreme discretion
- Excellent problem solving/judgment skills, and high level of attention to detail and accuracy
- Strong communication and organizational skills, and the ability to work under pressure
- Ability to handle and prioritize multiple tasks and meet all deadlines
At Upwork, you’ll shape talent solutions for how the world works today. We are a remote-first organization working together to create exciting remote work opportunities for a global community of professionals. While we have physical offices in San Francisco and Chicago, currently we also support hiring of corporate full-time employees in 15 states in the United States. Please speak with a member of our recruitment team to determine whether you are located in a state in which we are hiring corporate full-time employees.
Our vibrant culture is built on shared values and our mission to create economic opportunities so that people have better lives. We foster amazing teams, put our community first, and have a bias toward action. We encourage everyone to bring their whole selves to work and grow together through development opportunities, mentorship, and employee resource groups. Oh yeah, we’ve also got amazing benefits.
Check out our Life at Upwork page to learn more about the employee experience.
Upwork is proudly committed to recruiting and retaining a diverse and inclusive workforce. As an Equal Opportunity Employer, we never discriminate based on race, religion, color, national origin, gender (including pregnancy, childbirth, or related medical condition), sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, age, status as a protected veteran, status as an individual with a disability, or other applicable legally protected characteristics.