Payroll Manager at Carvana (Phoenix, AZ)
If you like disrupting the norm and are looking to join a company revolutionizing an industry then you will LOVE what Carvana has done for the car buying experience. Buying a car the old fashioned way sucks and we are working hard to make it NOT suck. I mean, have you seen our vending machine?!
We are looking for people who are excited to thrive in an environment of impactful change. Team spirit is evident at Carvana and every day we let our passions and creativity foster innovation. We take big swings, set ambitious goals, and challenge each other to make data- and process-driven decisions in everything we do. Here are a few of our stories! We’ve been changing the game since 2013, and we’re not taking our foot off the gas now. Want more of the story? Check out our background here.
About the team and position
This individual will jump right in and leverage their expertise to manage payroll processes and support with team development. They will assist in building and enhancing standard operating procedures and identifying best practices. This opportunity comes with a passionate and growing team that strives to improve the payroll experience each and every day.
What you’ll be doing
- Leverage your experience to supervise, coach and guide Payroll team.
- Oversee and ensure timely execution of payroll calendar deadlines, including full cycle multi-state weekly, bi-weekly payroll processing, ad hoc and monthly equity payrolls, and off-cycle payments.
- Oversees payroll related processing between the payroll area, operating departments, HRIS, HR and the Information Systems (IS) department.
- Ensure all payroll-related tax filings are completed timely and accurately, including the setup of new accounts with various state agencies as required
- Work with tax agencies and 3rd party to resolve tax issues.
- Review and assist on updates to policies, procedures, and controls to ensure federal/state/local tax and Sarbanes Oxley (SOX) compliance.
- Makes suggestions for change and/or process improvements.
- Act as the first point of escalation for any complex payroll queries from management and employees.
- Performs research, troubleshooting, and prepares reports.
- Oversees development and testing of new software, system updates, and reports.
- Assist in additional projects as needed.
What you should know/have
- Bachelor’s degree from an accredited institution (preferred).
- 5+ years experience and management of payroll processing for multi-state full cycle payroll.
- Experience with HRIS payroll systems, specifically Workday.
- Knowledge of payroll reporting requirements for equity transactions, fringe benefits, tax filings and best practices.
- Ability to multi-task and prioritize workloads and schedules efficiently.
- Proficiency with MS Office suite required (Intermediate Excel skills preferred).
- Experience with implementations of payroll systems and integrations.
- Ability to handle highly confidential information is essential.
- Experience leading and mentoring others.
- Effective verbal and written communications, listening, problem-solving and team building skills
What we’ll offer in return
- Full-Time Salary Position with a competitive salary.
- Medical, Dental, and Vision benefits.
- 401K with company match.
- A multitude of perks including student loan payments, discounts on vehicles, benefits for your pets, and much more.
- A great wellness program to keep you healthy and happy both physically and mentally.
- Access to opportunities to expand your skill set and share your knowledge with others across the organization.
- A company culture of promotions from within, with a start-up atmosphere allowing for varied and rapid career development.
- A seat in one of the fastest-growing companies in the country.
Hiring is contingent on passing a complete background check. This role is not eligible for visa sponsorship.
Carvana is an equal employment opportunity employer. All applicants receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, marital status, national origin, age, mental or physical disability, protected veteran status, or genetic information, or any other basis protected by applicable law. Carvana also prohibits harassment of applicants or employees based on any of these protected categories.
Please note this job description is not designed to contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties, or responsibilities that are required of the employee for this job. Duties, responsibilities, and activities may change at any time with or without notice.