Upwork ($UPWK) is the world’s work marketplace. We help connect companies large and small with top independent talent from around the world. Simply put, our mission is to create economic opportunities so people have better lives.
Every year, more than $2 billion of work is done through Upwork by skilled independent professionals who want the freedom of working anytime, anywhere.
The Manager, Revenue Accounting Operations plays a key role in Upwork's revenue recognition and order to cash process. You will lead the Revenue Accounting Operations team and will partner with Sales Ops, FP&A, Technical Revenue, Enterprise Billing, as well as many other cross-functional business partners. In this role, you will ensure the accuracy of our revenue recognition, in compliance with ASC 606, and our internal accounting policies. You will drive process improvements thereto, spearhead the evolution of Revenue Accounting Operations and adjoining functions as Upwork scales for continued growth. You will also be involved in the design, setting and updating of revenue policies, as well as reviewing and approving revenue accounting and operational policies.
This is a remote full-time position in our Revenue Operations team.Your Responsibilities:
- Manage month end close for areas including but not limited to: revenue, partnership arrangements, accounts receivable, and provision for transaction losses
- Reconcile and monitor the health of our balance sheet with respect to accounts receivable, deferred revenue, and amounts due to employee of record arrangements
- Lead automation and user acceptance testing of reporting coming from our platform to the Company’s ERP ledgers
- Enhance existing processes and controls, perform and maintain assigned internal controls
- Help lead critical accounting projects such as new product offerings, including the design and implementation of key finance systems, close efficiency and management reporting
- Support external audit requirements related to specific areas of responsibility
- Assist with the formal documentation of key accounting policies and processes related to revenue recognition
- Extensive knowledge of revenue recognition in US GAAP
- Experience auditing, implementing or operating in a SOX effective environment
- Month-end close experience
- Proven ability to collaborate with Product, Engineering and Legal to build audit ready revenue streams
- Experience in performing technical revenue research
- Exposure to electronic payment processing, working with PSPs, and have an understanding of a mature company order-to-cash cycle
- Ability to read SQL query is a big plus
- Strong Excel skills, comfortable with extremely large data set volume
- Proven ability to succeed in a fast paced and constantly changing environment a plus
- Experience with Oracle preferred
- CPA a plus
At Upwork, you’ll shape talent solutions for how the world works today. We are a remote-first organization working together to create exciting remote work opportunities for a global community of professionals. While we have physical offices in San Francisco and Chicago, currently we also support hiring of corporate full-time employees in 15 states in the United States. Please speak with a member of our recruitment team to determine whether you are located in a state in which we are hiring corporate full-time employees.
Our vibrant culture is built on shared values and our mission to create economic opportunities so that people have better lives. We foster amazing teams, put our community first, and have a bias toward action. We encourage everyone to bring their whole selves to work and grow together through development opportunities, mentorship, and employee resource groups. Oh yeah, we’ve also got amazing benefits.
Check out our Life at Upwork page to learn more about the employee experience.
Upwork is proudly committed to recruiting and retaining a diverse and inclusive workforce. As an Equal Opportunity Employer, we never discriminate based on race, religion, color, national origin, gender (including pregnancy, childbirth, or related medical condition), sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, age, status as a protected veteran, status as an individual with a disability, or other applicable legally protected characteristics.