Manager, Payroll Accounting at TuSimple
This opportunity is located in San Diego, CA. Remote friendly during Covid-19.
You can apply to the job with this email address: [email protected]
Come join a higher calling and find a deeper purpose!
As a multi-national Artificial Intelligence Technology Company, we are at the epicenter of the Autonomous Vehicle Universe. Our breakthroughs are leading the industry in autonomous trucking.
While inventing the framework of Autonomous Driving, our current fleet of autonomous Trucks are helping communities receive much-needed supplies and medical equipment around the clock. Our people are some of the most talented engineers and contributors who are leaving behind a historic legacy.
TuSimple was founded half a decade ago with the goal of bringing the top minds in the world together to achieve the dream of a driverless truck solution. With a foundation in computer vision, algorithms, mapping, and Artificial Intelligence, TuSimple is working to create the first global commercially viable autonomous truck driving platform!
TuSimple’s Manager, Payroll Accounting is a key professional within the Finance organization, leading all payroll activities for North America. The incumbent oversees all aspects of payroll processing throughout North America (including pre-processing, calculating, and post-processing activities), driving scalability and optimization of processes and ensuring the payroll team consistently takes a customer-focused approach with all activities.
The Manager, Payroll Accounting operates as a subject matter expert, key partner, and liaison to cross-functional teams, including Human Resources and Finance, to respond to employee questions, streamline cross-functional activities, implement and refine internal controls, and execute various business initiatives.
Join us and be a part of excellence!
- Leads the North American payroll function, overseeing all aspects of payroll including, ensuring compliance with organizational policies and government regulations, driving superb internal customer service, and scaling and refining payroll processes to improve efficiencies and incorporate best practices
- Oversees a small payroll team, ensuring the efficient and accurate payroll processing in alignment with all internal controls, including: bi-weekly payroll, retroactive payments, bonuses, status changes, timesheet verification, new hires, terminations, final checks, special pay adjustments and disbursements, garnishments, W2s, amendments, reconciliations, etc
- Oversees multi-jurisdictional taxation, including remote employee taxation, filing of quarterly and year-end payroll tax returns for federal, state and local taxes, as required. Researches and resolves any issues related to tax return filings, penalty notices, abatement requests, etc
- Serves as the key liaison with Human Resources, including Total Rewards and HR Operations, to ensure effective and efficient payroll processing, including critical pre-processing activities (e.g. cross-functional new hire and termination processes, pay changes, bonus payments, off-cycle payroll runs, benefits, and other sub-processes)
- Partners with the Stock Administration team to manage all payroll and employee taxation related-components for employee stock incentives
- Designs and implements proper segregation of duties, controls, and internal self-audits. Develops and maintains payroll policies, payroll calendars, payroll checklists, process maps, and other procedural documentation. Ensures compliance with all corporate policies and procedures. Partners cross-functionally to provide compliance reporting and process controls. Develops and maintains payroll disaster recovery methodology , plans, and processes
- Regularly reviews, continuously optimizes, and appropriately scales payroll processes and cross-functional pre-processing activities, documenting to ensure clarity, and streamlining to ensure efficiency and effectiveness. Proactively identifies and monitors issues, analyzes alternatives, recommends policy and procedure updates, and efficiently implements effective solutions. Leads regular meeting with Human Resources (e.g. Total Rewards, HR Operations), to review updates, schedules, inefficiencies, optimizations, process changes, and any issues
- Partners cross-functionally to respond to employee questions related to payroll, deductions, garnishments, taxation, as well as, organization-wide communications regarding payroll processes, regulations, and impacts on employee compensation.
- Performs regular internal payroll audits, under strict SOX controls, to ensure proper documentation, payroll records, and the review and sign-off of payroll. Facilitates and supports audits through the delivery of records and documentation to external auditors, as required. Conducts research to ensure any anomalies are explained and resolved
- Operates as a payroll subject matter expert, collaborating with business stakeholders on business-lead initiatives. Facilitates the development of payroll project plans and schedules, as necessary
- Develops and maintains in-depth knowledge of all payroll systems to independently research and resolve payroll issues; reaching out to vendors, as necessary
- Partners cross-functionally with other Finance teams on projects, financial audits, and financial reporting. Prepares required regulatory reports, financial reports, management reports, etc
- Provides strong leadership in the recruitment, training and development of top-quality talent, ensuring the high level of performance and productivity. Builds morale, motivates and instills productivity and teamwork, creates and promotes a positive and supportive work environment. Creates a culture of continuous improvement for processes, systems, data, training, people, etc
- Maintains strict confidentiality of sensitive information
Experience & Skills Required
- Associate’s Degree+ in Finance, Accounting, Business, or related field
- 7 years experience processing and reconciling payroll, including expertise with processing multi-state and international payroll
- 2 years experience working in an international, matrixed company, managing payroll professionals
- Experience working in a public company, strongly preferred
- Experience with employee stock programs, preferred
- CPP Certification, preferred
- Proven ability to design, implement, and continuously optimize payroll processes, as well as internal controls, aimed at balancing operational risk, quality, and increased efficiencies
- Demonstrated strength with diving change through business case formulation, providing solutions, and delivering results
- In-depth expertise with solving complex payroll issues, including disability/absence management, expatriates, stock programs, mergers and acquisitions, etc.
- Proven strength with understanding and accurately interpreting payroll and tax regulations US and Canadian jurisdictions
- Strong knowledge and experience with general accounting
- Ability to utilize enterprise resource management and other accounting and finance related systems
- Demonstrated strength with analytical and problem-solving skills, including advanced ability of analyze and present data
- Proven ability to utilize Paycom, Ceridian, ADP, or similar time & attendance and payroll cloud-applications
- Proven capabilities in project management, including managing multiple projects independently to successful completion
- Proven ability to maintain excellent attention to detail and accuracy.
- Entrepreneurial self-starter, with proven ability to effectively work in ambiguous environments and drive continuous improvement
- Intellectually curious with a strong bias to action
- High degree of dedication to improvement, strong sense of ownership
- Data-driven, fact-based decision maker with established understanding of business implications
- Divergent thinker, with a fervent need to deliver creative solutions that drive efficiencies forward
- Customer-driven team play, with track record of earning the trust of employees, leaders, and peers alike
- Highly resourceful, a demonstrated history of independently locating information and resources necessary to accomplish objectives
- Proven ability to quickly build trust and rapport with a wide range of internal and external stakeholders
- Ability to lead, inspire and motivate a team to effectively and efficiently accomplish goals. Ability to create a sense of “team” despite different time zones, locales and cultures
- Demonstrated ability to de-construct complex issues into straight-forward concepts and present recommendations that successfully navigate to resolution, in an organized and methodical framework
- Strong interpersonal, oral and written communication skills. Capable of listening and obtaining clarification, changing approach or method to best fit the situation. Able to effectively partner with cross-functional teams to coordinate activities and accomplish goals
- Ability to effectively influence the actions and opinions of others at all levels of the organization. Able to effectively and respectfully challenge the status quo and drive change
- Proven track record of successfully building and streamlining workflows and processes that promote quality
- Demonstrated ability to manage multiple concurrent assignments while meeting deadlines and demanding quality execution
- Ability to seamlessly fluctuate work approach between being detail oriented/ hands on and operating at the conceptual/strategic level
- Proven ability to work in a matrix organization, tech start-up experience preferred
- Ability to maintain steady leadership throughout aggressive deadlines, changing priorities, and evolving operations, as common to progressive start-up environments
- 100% employer-paid healthcare premiums for you and your family
- Breakfast, lunch, and dinner served every day
- Full kitchens on every floor with unlimited snacks, drinks, special treats, fruits, meals, and more
- Gym membership reimbursement
- Monthly team building budget
- Learning/education budget
- Employer-paid life insurance
- Employer-paid long and short disability
TuSimple is an Equal Opportunity Employer. This company does not discriminate in employment and personnel practices on the basis of race, sex, age, handicap, religion, national origin or any other basis prohibited by applicable law. Hiring, transferring and promotion practices are performed without regard to the above listed items.This opportunity is located in San Diego, CA. Remote friendly during Covid-19.
You can apply to the job with this email address: [email protected] Brown University, California Institute of Technology, Carnegie Mellon University, Columbia University, Cornell University, Dartmouth College, Duke University, Georgia Institute of Technology, Harvard University, Harvey Mudd College, Massachusetts Institute of Technology, North Carolina State University, Northwestern University, Princeton University, Purdue University, Rice University, Rose - Hulman Institute of Technology, Stanford University, Tufts University, University of California — Berkeley, University of California — Los Angeles, University of Illinois--Urbana-Champaign, University of Maryland--College Park, University of Massachusetts--Amherst, University of Michigan--Ann Arbor, University of Notre Dame, University of Pennsylvania, University of Southern California, University of Texas Austin, University of Washington, University of Wisconsin--Madison, Williams College, Worcester Polytechnic Institute (WPI), Yale University, MIT, CMU, Waymo, Uber, Facebook, Uber, Amazon, Cruise, Tesla, Argo AI, Baidu, DIDI, Zoox, Nutonomy, Nuro, Aptiv, Pony.Ai, Kodiak, Toyota, Nissan, GM, Ford, VW, Autonomous Car, Autonomous Driving, Robotics, Artificial Intelligence, Machine Learning, Deep learning, Perception, Prediction, Planning, Control, Anduril Industries, Sift, Nauto, Tempus, Salesforce, Automation Anywhere, SenSat, Phrasee, Defined Crowd, Pymetrics,Siemens, Socure, AEye, Rev.com, Suki.ai, Verkada, DataVisor, People.ai, AlphaSense, Icertis, Casetext, Blue River Tech, Nvidia, Bright Machines, Orbital Insight, Brighterion, H2O, Intel, Clarifa, X.ai, Zebra Medical Vision, Iris AI, Freenome, Neurala, Akamai, Zoho, ServiceNow, SalesForce, Oracle, Tableau,Splunk,Cvent, Veeam,Atlassian, DocuSign, Dropbox, Veeva Systems, Proofpoint, Cornerstone, Qualtrics. New Relic, Okta, Intralinks, MuleSoft, Freshworks, Slack, Twilio, Anaplan, Stripe, Workfront, Smartsheet, Zuora, OutSystems, Coupa, Cylance, Elastic, Zoom, SailPoint, BlackLine, iCIMS, Digitate, Qualys, Kareo, DataStax, DiscoverOrg, Siteimprove, Druva, Centrify, Looker, SimilarWeb, Odoo, Kyriba, Sumo Logic, Sisense, PagerDuty, DigitalOcean, Liquid Web, Zaloni, Databricks, ServiceTitan, Fastly, SnapLogic, Mendix, Couchbase, Egnyte, Seismic, Bill.com, Justworks, Collibra, ActiveCampaign, Schoology, SalesLoft, Cylynt