Insurance Accounting and Reporting Manager at Hippo Insurance
Location: Palo Alto, CA; Bedminster, NJ; Austin, TX
Title: Insurance Accounting and Reporting and Manager
Reporting to: Senior Manager, Insurance Accounting and Reporting
Hippo is modernizing home insurance by putting customers at the center of everything we do. Using innovative technology and a data-driven approach, we strive to provide homeowners with the best policies, best value, and best customer service in the industry. And as if that isn’t enough, it’s really just the beginning. Hippo’s true ambition lies in helping prevent people from experiencing problems with their homes to begin with. Because, at the end of the day, the best home insurance policy is the one you never have to use.
Our Insurance Accounting and Reporting Manager will be responsible for developing and supporting all reporting requirements for our insurance carriers. You will interface with carriers to ensure that reporting fields and data are correctly represented and communicated, and champion all requirements and necessary changes. You will ensure accuracy and compliance in all areas of insurance carrier reports.
You're likely an accounting/finance analyst or manager in the P&C insurance industry, looking to make a change and pivot your knowledge of insurance reporting into the exciting new world of insurtech. You enjoy complex reporting, spotting trends, and reporting out to superiors and partners. You're passionate about ensuring accuracy and optimal flow of information back and forth between Hippo and our carriers.
**P&C Insurance industry experience is an absolute must. Thank you.
What You’ll Do
- Develop and improve reports relating to policy in force, written- premiums, cash collected and other accounting reports required for reporting to insurance carriers, revenue recognition and cash/AR
- Develop and maintain reconciliations of premium accounts receivables balances
- Oversea controls and reconciliation of premium trust and claims funding accounts on behalf of carriers
- Review and analyze metric data, ensuring compliance with internal audit, legal and State Departments of Insurance
- Develop and maintain updated reporting requirements as determined by Hippo area/departments including Legal, Compliance, various State Offices of Insurance, as well as carriers
- Sets up and improves lists and libraries to make it friendlier to the end user
- Interfaces with insurance carriers to represent Hippo and ensure two-way flow of accurate reporting and data
- Identify and rollout best practices to increase the efficiency and effectiveness of the accounting and financial reporting function.
- Bachelor’s Degree in accounting or finance
- 3+ years of P&C insurance experience
- 5+ years in finance and accounting roles
- Solid understanding of MGA insurance reporting to carriers, accounting requirements and compliance related required reports
- Knowledge of US Statutory & US GAAP accounting principles
- Understanding of insurance financial operations including underwriting, claims, and reinsurance
- Experience in reconciling premium and claims data flow end-to-end
- Advanced Excel skills and experience with financial reporting systems
- Ability to gather data, compile information, and prepare detailed reports
- Ability to maintain confidentiality of records and information
Nice to Haves
- SQL and Tableau experience is preferred
- NetSuite experience
Compensation and Perks
- Healthy Hippos Benefits- 100% Employer paid medical, dental & vision plan options for our team members AND their families (yes, you read that correctly). As well as 401K, long & short term disability, EAP and flexible spending accounts.
- Flexible Paid Time Off- Uncapped PTO (with manager approval)
- Little Hippos Program- We reimburse our team members up to $25k for adoption costs and up to $50k for infertility treatments. Plus, we offer 12 weeks parental leave for primary caregivers and 8 weeks for secondary caregivers.
- Hippo Habitat- Fun offices located in downtown Palo Alto, less than a 5 minute walk from Caltrain. We also offer commuter benefits including free parking pass. Stocked kitchen and BBQ Friday’s for all!
Hippo is an equal opportunity employer, and we are committed to building a team culture that celebrates diversity and inclusion.
Hippo’s applicants are considered solely based on their qualifications, without regard to an applicant’s disability or need for accommodation. Any Hippo applicant who requires reasonable accommodations during the application process should contact the Hippo’s People Team to make the need for an accommodation known.