Global Corporate Controller at Coinbase
Coinbase has built the world's leading compliant cryptocurrency platform serving over 30 million accounts in more than 100 countries. With multiple successful products, and our vocal advocacy for blockchain technology, we have played a major part in mainstream awareness and adoption of cryptocurrency. We are proud to offer an entire suite of products that are helping build the cryptoeconomy and increase economic freedom around the world.
There are a few things we look for across all hires we make at Coinbase, regardless of role or team. First, we look for signals that a candidate will thrive in a culture like ours, where we default to trust, embrace feedback, disrupt ourselves, and expect sustained high performance because we play as a championship team. Second, we expect all employees to commit to our mission-focused approach to our work. Finally, we seek people with the desire and capacity to build and share expertise in the frontier technologies of crypto and blockchain, in whatever way is most relevant to their role.
Reporting to the Chief Accounting Officer, this individual will be responsible for directing the global accounting activities of the Company. The ideal candidate is someone who inspires a high-performing accounting team, but can also embrace ambiguity and loves solving problems. The candidate will possess a solid knowledge of US GAAP principles, as well as, a solid background in Sarbanes-Oxley (SOX) and financial operations. The candidate will also possess strong management and team leadership competencies gained through prior experience managing a corporate accounting department within a large, complex global organization. This individual must be a senior leader who is a change agent and driver of innovation willing to challenge the status quo from both an operational and team perspective. You will play a critical role in ensuring we continue building a world-class accounting function while partnering across the business to ensure our systems and processes are running smoothly. Our goal is to be scalable as we push towards global best-in-class operations.
What you’ll be doing (ie. job duties):
- Lead, support, and develop the global accounting team while driving efficiency & automation to keep up with the demands of our high-growth business.
- Oversee the monthly global financial close process. Owns the GL and recording of all business transactions, including detailed analysis and reconciliation of all general ledger accounts, while ensuring compliance with US GAAP, local accounting requirements and internal policies.
- Ensure the global consolidation is prepared accurately and timely.
- Ensure appropriate functional currency determinations and Global FX questions are resolved and accounted for properly.
- Enhance operational effectiveness and efficiency of the Controllership organization
- Responsible for SOX compliance activities, including developing and executing internal controls.
- Streamline, maintain & improve processes and internal controls.
- Responsible for annual external audit preparation and oversight.
- Liaise with internal audit, information technology, tax, treasury, legal and other functions.
- Team leadership through active recruiting and managing of talent including, motivating, coaching, training and mentoring team members.
- Ad-hoc projects as needed.
What we look for in you (ie. job requirements):
- 14+ years of progressive accounting experience, including as a Controller or Director of Accounting (preferred), with both public/private company leadership roles in the financial services, Fintech or Payments industry (with a minimum of 7+ years in a senior management accounting role leading large global teams).
- Active CPA or equivalent required.
- Strong knowledge and leadership of accounting operations. Proven experience building, developing, mentoring, and inspiring a large, diverse, high performing professional accounting team in multiple locations (globally).
- Excellent communicator, both written and verbal, able to communicate complex concepts and risk factors to stakeholders and influence decision making.
- Experienced business partner, skilled in building trust and inspiring others while ramping up in a new business and role in a complex environment.
- Excellent knowledge and proven track record in assessing, developing, and implementing internal controls for SOX compliance while balancing bureaucracy-free processes.
- Excitement around navigating a hyper-growth, rapidly changing, and sometimes ambiguous environment.
Nice to haves:
- Strong ERP systems experience, preferably in NetSuite.
- High proficiency in Microsoft Excel and Google Suite.
Coinbase is committed to diversity in its workforce and is proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, creed, gender, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, sex, gender expression or identity, sexual orientation or any other basis protected by applicable law. Coinbase will also consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories in a manner consistent with applicable federal, state and local law. For US applicants, you may view Pay Transparency, Employee Rights and Equal Employment Opportunity is the Law notices by clicking on their corresponding links. Additionally, Coinbase participates in the E-Verify program in certain locations, as required by law.
Coinbase is also committed to providing reasonable accommodations to individuals with disabilities. If you need a reasonable accommodation because of a disability for any part of the employment process, please send an e-mail to [email protected] coinbase.com and let us know the nature of your request and your contact information. For quick access to screen reading technology compatible with this site click here to download a free compatible screen reader (free step by step tutorial can be found here). Please contact [email protected] coinbase.com for additional information or to request accommodations.Global Data Privacy Notice for Job Candidates and Applicants
Depending on your location, the General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR) and California Consumer Privacy Act (CCPA) may regulate the way we manage the data of job applicants. Our full notice outlining how data will be processed as part of the application procedure for applicable locations is available here: Ireland/EU, United Kingdom, and California. By submitting your application, you are agreeing to our use and processing of your data as required.