Financial Control IT Consulting Director at CNA
Individual contributor responsible for collaborating with business leaders across the enterprise to establish and manage internal controls over financial reporting. This position is a key member of the Financial Control Team within the Corporate Finance Department. This position provides consultation and direction for efforts supporting CNA's IT SOX framework including planning, risk assessment, design and documentation, testing and monitoring, and policy development. This position promotes governance standards through influential leadership of key initiatives with cross-functional representation while demonstrating a deep knowledge of CNA's applications and infrastructure, products and services, and external (GAAP and statutory) reporting requirements.
Essential Duties & Responsibilities
Performs a combination of duties in accordance with departmental guidelines:
- Through coordination with CNA's IT organization, provides leadership for an assessment of IT risks in accordance with industry-standard frameworks including COSO and COBIT to support compliance with Section 404 of SOX.
- Monitors management's IT control testing including assessment of testing exceptions and/or control deficiencies with respect to internal controls over financial reporting while providing consultation for remediation plans and reporting to senior management.
- Serves as a dedicated SOX liaison to consult on IT projects and implementations to ensure adequate risk and control considerations are incorporated.
- Capitalizes on new software investments to further evolve the Company's IT risk management including strengthening linkage between business controls and IT controls as well as optimization of management's control testing processes.
- Evaluates and, as necessary, influences external auditor's testing approach to ensure an efficient and effective use of resources; provides direction to triage audit issues as they arise.
- Helps evolve our SOX environment to place more reliance on automated controls and capture related SOX/audit efficiencies
- Establishes and modifies corporate procedures, as necessary, to promote a continued improvement in our risk management environment.
- Stays up to date on trends and developments within functional area of expertise and the insurance industry.
May perform additional duties as assigned.
Typically AVP or above
Skills, Knowledge & Abilities
- In-depth understanding of risk frameworks including COSO, COBIT, and ISO 27001.
- Excellent analytical and problem solving skills with the ability to manage and prioritize multiple projects.
- Proven communication, interpersonal and presentation skills to work effectively among all levels of internal/external partners/clients.
- Proven influence and decision-making skills.
- Excellent organizational skills with the ability to multi-task and lead in a fast-paced dynamic workforce.
- Proven change agent
- Ability to work independently as well as manage/lead large engagements.
- Advanced computing skills including MS Office Suite, SQL, business objects and other business-related software
Education & Experience
- Bachelors with Master's degree preferred, in related discipline, or equivalent.
- Typically a minimum of ten years of related work experience.
- Professional certifications such as CISA, CISSP, CIA, and/or CPA preferred.