Sendwave is on a mission to make sending funds to loved ones as easy and affordable as sending a text. What makes us stand out in a sea of similar apps? We deeply care about the diasporas and communities we serve — and that comes with a sense of connection to the markets we operate in. We strive to make life better for everyone who touches our product. That means recognizing and honoring the human experience behind sending money. We do that by remaining fee-free in most of our markets and offering round-the-clock customer care.
Our app is currently available in the United States, United Kingdom, Canada, and parts of Europe, and sends funds to 19 receiving countries for over 500,000 users. We currently have a 4.6-star rating on Trustpilot — people put their faith in us to deliver their money quickly, securely, and affordably. And we’re pretty darn proud of that.
How we work
What we’re most proud of though is our brilliant, creative, and tenacious team. Our remote-first workplace means you’ll be working with Sendwavers in Europe, Africa, South America, and the U.S. that all share a core set of Sendwave values. What exactly are those values? Glad you asked.
- Prioritize fearlessly.
There will always be more problems to solve and opportunities to pursue than we have the capacity for. We’re not afraid to say no and are willing to let fires burn, knowing that to win we must discern and execute decisively on the vital few rather than the important many.
- Take full ownership of the outcomes we’re responsible for.
Our job is not to do what we can to solve a problem. It's to ensure that problem is solved. If an attempt to solve a problem doesn't work, we seek an alternative. If we need help, we request it, and, if necessary, demand it.
- Forge a diverse team and inclusive culture.
We believe the challenges we’re addressing will be best met by a truly global, diverse team, working together. We’re not naive to the systemic bias and discrimination that make this easier said than done, so we check our egos, listen deeply, and measure progress towards making this a fundamental part of our success.
- Maximize our rate of learning.
We view projects as ever-evolving drafts and welcome opportunities to discover that what we had in mind won't work so we can move to an even better end state. Most importantly, we do this fast. The faster we run these loops — as a company and individuals — the faster we’ll achieve our mission.
- Embrace embarrassing honesty from ourselves and others.
We function best when we're open and honest with one another — especially about our challenges and doubts. We lean into uncomfortable conversations and support our colleagues when they do the same.
- Maximize energy, not time spent.
We measure our own and others’ contributions by objectives reached, not time spent. Living a full life outside of work is necessary for high achievement over the long term.
In 2021 we grew the Sendwave team by 135%, hiring 297 new employees across engineering, product, finance, compliance, growth marketing, customer support, and people ops. The team is more engaged than it’s ever been, with an eNPS of 50 and 94% of employees agreeing that the work they do contributes to Sendwave’s success. Yet we know the only way we’ll achieve our mission is if we can dramatically scale up our ability to hire egolessly mission-driven talent.
Nature of Role: Full-time position
Reporting Manager: Head of Product.
Our company is 100% remote. This position is based in the United States.How you'll make an impact:
- You’ll work with our finance and engineering teams to deliver monthly financial close as well as the successful completion of required financial audits
- You’ll take ownership for and lead ad-hoc data analysis and investigations, working with a cross-functional group including external partners to resolve reporting and reconciliation issues on a timely basis
- You’ll need to understand our product, business, and internal financial systems which translate remittance transactions into journal entries and financial statements
- You’ll ensure high data quality, integrity, and audibility in the data analysis and reports that you build
- BA or BS in Finance, Accounting, Business, Economics, or a highly analytical field (e.g., Engineering, Math, Computer Science)
- Experience with finance operations, management reporting, and/or regulatory reporting
- You have strong analytics skills and are not afraid to learn or use new tools, ability to write SQL, dig into some python code, or do whatever else it takes for you to frame questions and get data quickly so you and your teams can better understand a problem and prioritize solutions.
- You are excited about working remotely and have the skills and self-discipline to do so effectively.
- Extensive knowledge on how to use and write SQL
- You are comfortable defaulting to over-communication and overreaching when it comes to coordination
- You adjust quickly to changing priorities and conditions and cope effectively with complexity and change.
- You're not afraid to pick up a phone and call a partner to resolve a reporting issue
- Are excited about multiple kinds of work and want to help out where it’s needed
- You have a willingness to travel four weeks/year to meet with your team and the rest of the company. In addition, you would be excited to spend a couple of additional weeks a year traveling to collaborate in person with our remittance partners worldwide.
- Are fluent in another language, especially Haitian Creole, French, or Spanish
- Are familiar with the diaspora communities we serve
- Have experience meeting aggressive numeric targets
- Have experience launching own projects
- Major benefits:
- Subsidized health insurance and retirement contribution matching (both vary from country to country)
- 26 weeks fully paid parental leave and subsidized fertility assistance
- Unlimited vacation with a 20-day minimum requirement
- $10,000 annual charitable donation matching
- Our team of over 400 employees, fully distributed across the world. We are working from coffee shops, homes, and coworking spaces — making us one of the larger fully distributed growth-stage startups in the world.
- Proud parents, community organizers, farmers, play in bands, teach yoga, YouTube influencers, former Olympians, and serial entrepreneurs.
- We collectively speak over twenty languages, including Akuapem, Amharic, Bengali, Ewe, Fante, Ga, Igbo, Kalenjin, Luganda, Oromo, Somali, Swahili, Wolof, Bulgarian, Croatian, Czech, Danish, Dutch, English, Estonian, Finnish, French, German, Greek, Hungarian, Irish, Italian, Latvian, Lithuanian, Maltese, Polish, Portuguese, Romanian, Slovak, Slovenian, Spanish and Swedish.
- Our new collaborators at WorldRemit, another remittance company. We recently joined forces, and we’re excited about the ways we can continue to provide the best service to our users.
Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis. If interested, please submit your resume along with a cover letter highlighting why your experience demonstrates you meet the requirements of the role. Please also indicate the countries in which you have work authorization.
Confidence can sometimes hold us back from applying for a job. But we'll let you in on a secret: there's no such thing as a 'perfect' candidate. Sendwave is a place where everyone can thrive. So however you identify and whatever background you bring with you, please apply if this is a role that would make you excited to wake up every day.