Buying a home should be an exciting milestone. But all too often, it’s stressful, especially in a competitive market or when you’re buying and selling at the same time. So we’re redesigning the homebuying experience. We’re a fast-paced real estate startup that empowers agents to help homebuyers buy with cash. We buy homes on behalf of our partners’ clients with our cash, then the client buys the home back from us.
Founder and CEO Tim Heyl, a 10-year industry veteran and owner of one of the fastest-growing agent teams in the country, started Homeward in 2018. In fact, he bought our first customer’s home with his own life savings. Today we offer two services — Buy with cash and Buy before you sell.
We’ve raised more than $160MM in equity capital from top-tier venture investors, including Norwest, Blackstone Alternative Asset Management, Adams Street, Javelin, and LiveOak. Our leadership team includes experts from the real estate, mortgage, and technology industries.
About the opportunity
The Homeward Mortgage Team is responsible for conducting the financial review and approval of every customer that works with Homeward and/or Homeward Mortgage. We’re focused on bringing financial innovations to life and delivering a seamlessly integrated mortgage experience. We are the newest team at Homeward and are looking for subject matter experts and business people with an entrepreneur's mindset and ability to get stuff done.
Our mortgage underwriting team is growing rapidly at Homeward Mortgage! We’re hiring a seasoned Director of Underwriting to oversee our underwriting department which consists of Underwriting Managers and Underwriters in the US and India. You will direct your managers to drive production and mitigate risk while aligning department outputs with company goals. Working closely with department leads in mortgage, title, and operations, you will help create customer-driven systems and workflows to help revolutionize the home buying process.
This position is not eligible for visa sponsorship.In this role you will:
- Help scale and develop a large team of underwriters in the US and India
- Set and monitor KPIs and SLAs to ensure quick turn times
- Support in the ongoing transition to become a 100% delegated lender
- Stay up to date on agency and investor guidelines and maintain Homeward and Homeward Mortgage internal guidelines to protect the company
- Direct all teams within the department to areas of opportunity to drive production and mitigate risk
- Promote high quality performance by developing and clearly outlining the expectations of the team
- Assist with audits from investors
- 10+ years of residential mortgage underwriting experience, 5+ years in leadership
- Experience building and scaling a team
- Experience building, scaling, and overseeing offshores teams preferred
- Extensive knowledge in FNMA, FHLMC, VA, FHA, and Jumbo loans
- Ability to work autonomously and make decisions on exceptions
- Must be proficient with Encompass
- Excellent organizational and planning skills with strong attention to detail
- Self-starter, positive attitude, and comfort working in ambiguous environments
THE GOLDEN RULE
Whether we’re dealing with colleagues or customers, we follow The Golden Rule, treating others the way we want to be treated. It’s a simple rule, but it’s also significant: we don’t prioritize money or growth over people, and we practice empathy at every opportunity.
We work in tech and build solutions for real estate. Both are fast-paced and stressful industries. So it’s important that we focus on the larger objective rather than rushing from one task to the next. If something is out of scope, we say “No.” If something feels rushed, we pump the brakes. This calm focus helps us create solutions our customers love.
ONE TEAM, ONE DREAM
Big problems require big solutions. We look at our customers’ experience holistically, and recognize that solving them requires collaboration across teams. This approach extends to cooperation among our three affiliate companies — Homeward, Homeward Mortgage and Homeward Title — and produces a more integrated homebuying experience.