Director of Technical & Revenue Accounting at Chainalysis
The Accounting & Finance team at Chainalysis splits their time between fine-tuning the details and evaluating the 30,000 foot view of our business. Our job is to help the company plan for growth by investing in the right resources and audit our expenditures and revenues to ensure we’re being fiscally responsible.
We are looking for an experienced Director of Technical & Revenue Accounting. This person will oversee the Revenue Accounting function, will be the go-to expert for all technical accounting questions and will lead the adoption of any new accounting standards. This person will also build robust and scalable financial reporting processes and controls from the ground up to ensure we close each quarter and year-end at a public company standard. The ideal candidate will be able to build and lead a team, prepare the company for future growth, and light a path towards becoming a public company.
In one year you know you will be successful if:
- Manage the revenue recognition function through contract review, revenue and deferred revenue reconciliation activities, analysis, and reporting
- Identify and articulate complex revenue accounting issues clearly and concisely, and supervise preparation of revenue recognition documentation for external auditor review
- Responsible for the review of various accounting close entries including revenue recognition, deferred revenue, and commissions amortization, allowance for doubtful accounts
- Review set up and ongoing maintenance of customer-specific ASC 606 revenue recognition models
- Perform technical accounting research and prepare documentation around complex revenue recognition accounting issues
- Assist with the implementation, compliance, and maintenance of Sarbanes Oxley requirements around revenue recognition
- Review and support revenue recognition disclosures
- Work closely with pricing team to ensure pricing model meets companies ASC 606 policies
- Monitor the activities of all accounting standard setting bodies, including FASB and SEC, and evaluate the accounting and reporting impact of new and upcoming standards. Lead the adoption of new accounting standards, adhering to all required deadlines
- Design and build a public company ready external SEC financial reporting process, including quarterly financial statements, and all related disclosures and controls
- Transform company financial statements into the format required for a public company
- Ensure controls are in place around the accuracy and completeness of the disclosures made (SOX 404)
- Assist in preparing the company to be able to execute SEC filings.
- Prepare written accounting memos documenting such issues/transactions for review by management and external auditors in a clear, logical and comprehensive manner
- Maintain relationships and work closely with external auditors
- Participate in potential future S-1 filing process
A Background like this helps:
- Several years of relevant experience helping take a company public or accounting firm handling publicly traded clients, including directly managing SEC filings
- Educational background in Accounting or similar discipline preferred
- CPA license (active)
- Big 4 experience at Manager level or above strongly preferred
- Prior experience in the SaaS Software space
- Outstanding knowledge and application of US GAAP, SEC and SOX 404 regulations and guidelines
- Energetic, hands-on, and resourceful self-starter who can partner with all levels and functions of the company with a consultative and collaborative approach
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills with the ability to effectively present to and engage with a wide range of internal and external audiences, including external auditors, legal and regulators.
- Ability to work effectively with ambiguity, shifting priorities and tight timelines
- S-1 experience a strong plus
- Experience with NetSuite and Workiva or other Financial Reporting software a strong plus
At Chainalysis, we help government agencies, cryptocurrency businesses, and financial institutions track and investigate illicit activity on the blockchain, allowing them to engage confidently with cryptocurrency. We take care of our people with great benefits, professional development opportunities, and fun.
You belong here.
At Chainalysis, we believe that diversity of experience and thought makes us stronger. With both customers and employees around the world, we are committed to ensuring our team reflects the unique communities around us. Some of the ways we’re ensuring we keep learning are an internal Diversity Committee, Days of Reflection throughout the year including International Women’s Day, Juneteenth, Harvey Milk Day, and International Migrant’s Day, and a commitment to continue revisiting and reevaluating our diversity culture.
We encourage applicants across any race, ethnicity, gender/gender expression, age, spirituality, ability, experience and more. Additionally, if you need any accommodations to make our interview process more accessible to you due to a disability, don't hesitate to let us know. You can learn more here. We can’t wait to meet you.
Applying from the EU? Please review our Candidate GDPR Notice.
By submitting this application, I consent to and authorize Chainalysis to contact my former employers, and any and all other persons and organizations for information bearing upon my qualifications for employment. I further authorize the listed employers, schools and personal references to give Chainalysis (without further notice to me) any and all information about my previous employment and education, along with other pertinent information they may have, and hereby waive any actions which I may have against either party(ies) for providing a reference. I understand any future employment will be contingent on the Company receiving satisfactory employment references.