Founded in 2016, Better is a digital-first homeownership company whose services include mortgage, real estate, title, and homeowners insurance. We leverage creative technology and innovation to make the homebuying journey more approachable and understandable.
Our company is made up of driven, passionate people who bring their unique backgrounds and perspectives to everything we do. We are committed to fostering diversity, multiculturalism, and inclusion. We see the value in each person's perspective and recognize their talents, regardless of what the market says. We believe it's important to nurture a company culture that encourages curiosity and passion—from employee resource groups and learning opportunities to team outings and community outreach.
A Better Opportunity
Our Accounting and Finance team is looking for a professional and experienced Director of Revenue Accounting. This individual will lead the Company’s efforts to stay abreast of all its revenue reporting requirements by creating and maintaining accounting manuals and professional accounting memos as well as focusing on reporting requirements for the company as required by GAAP. They will report to the VP, Corporate Controller. This role offers the unique opportunity to directly impact Better’s growth trajectory by standing up its Revenue accounting function. An instrumental hire as the company continues to scale, this individual will be expected to take on responsibility at a rapid pace.
Responsibilities Will Include
- Assist in the continued development and scaling of the revenue accounting team.
- Manage the Month end Revenue close process including:
- Oversee the preparation and documentation of revenue recognition reporting under US GAAP rules for all revenue generating entities.
- Manage and oversee the reconciliation of all accounts related to revenue recognition including escrow accounts, receivables from subservicers, brokers, warehouse banks, etc.
- Own company's revenue data, and its application across financial reporting and other related reporting needs.
- Review existing processes and evaluate future changes required to ensure the most efficient and effective means for revenue recognition.
- Take a leading part in the external audit and liaise between the audit team and the internal team for all matters related to revenue accounting.
- Lead efforts to create a streamlined and automated revenue recognition process and greatly assist in the reduction of time to the completion of the financial statements closing process.
- Provide support and guidance to the legal and operations teams during contract negotiations, pilot programs and reviews in the areas of revenue recognition.
- Collaborate with our internal audit team to implement and ensure effectiveness of all controls governing the revenue function
- CPA preferred
- 8+ years of relevant experience, including 3+ years in an industry accounting role for a public company.
- Strong knowledge of Derivative, Fair Value and Transfer of financial assets accounting.
- Strong preference for: Mortgage experience, Netsuite experience.
- Experience managing accounting professionals.
- High degree of intellectual curiosity.
- Ability to communicate effectively across all levels.
- Strong attention to detail and Technical skills.
- Ability to meet hard deadlines and work under pressure.
- Knowledge of internal controls, internal & external reporting, audit processes.
- This role is designated as ‘Remote Mode,’ and employees are not expected to report into a Better office at any time. Proof of COVID-19 vaccination is not required unless fully remote employees attend an onsite, in-person meeting, office event, or otherwise interface with Better employees and/or customers in person.
For Colorado-based candidates*: Minimum salary of $95,500 + bonus potential, equity, and benefits.
*Disclosure of minimum annual salary required by sb19-085 (8-5-20) for opportunities in Colorado.
Job Req ID: JR102381
Better is requiring all US employees to be fully vaccinated to go into the office. Our priority is first and foremost the safety of our employees, and we require COVID-19 vaccination to help ensure their safety in the workplace. Please note that Better will offer a reasonable accommodation process for employees who are not vaccinated for medical or religious reasons.
The Better mission is rooted in values that drive us.
- We do what’s in the best interest of the consumer, not ourselves
- We have growth mindsets, not fixed ones
- We believe that success lies in execution, not credentials
- We act like owners, not just employees
- We work to find answers on our own, not wait for them to be given to us
- We optimize for mission, not ego
Better Benefits & Compensation
Our total rewards package consists of base salary, equity, benefits, and the opportunity for a yearly cash bonus. Some of our benefits include:
- Comprehensive healthcare, retirement, and voluntary benefits. Think medical, dental, vision, savings accounts, 401k, and more
- Personalized care and tools for realizing your mental health and wellness goals
- Robust wellbeing offerings that allow you unlimited access to virtual fitness, meditation, yoga, cooking classes, homeschooling preparedness, physical therapy, and more
- Unlimited time off (with manager approval)
- 12 weeks of paid parental leave after 90 days of employment, and 20 weeks after 24 months of service
- Inclusive fertility benefits for you or your eligible dependents, regardless of participation in a Better medical plan
Better is an equal opportunity employer. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion or religious creed, sexual orientation, gender, gender identity, marital status, family or parental status, disability, military or veteran status, or any other basis protected by law. All employment decisions at Better are based on a person’s merit, business needs, and role requirements.
California Consumer Privacy Rights Notice for Job Applicants
Under the California Consumer Privacy Act (CCPA), Better is required to inform California residents who are our job applicants or prospective talent (together "job applicants") about the categories of personal information we collect about you and the purposes for which we will use this information. The notice contains disclosures required by the CCPA and applies only to personal information that is subject to the CCPA.