Director of Finance at Hermeus (Atlanta, GA)
Hermeus is a startup developing hypersonic aircraft to radically accelerate air travel. At Mach 5, more than twice the speed of the supersonic Concorde, passengers will be able to cross the Atlantic in 90 minutes. On the path to hypersonic passenger aircraft, Hermeus is partnering with government agencies including the US Air Force and NASA to develop a series of autonomous aircraft that derisk the technology and solve urgent national security challenges. These products provide the data and confidence necessary to certify, produce, operate, and maintain safe and comfortable commercial aircraft. Hypersonic aircraft have the potential to create trillions of dollars of new global economic growth per year, unlocking significant resources that can be utilized to solve the world’s greatest problems.
Mach 5 aircraft present an opportunity to create massive social and economic growth while solving critical national security challenges. This position builds the internal financial infrastructure necessary to move fast, make good decisions and enable accountability within a tightly coupled team. The rapidly growing team requires high-frequency iteration on the financial processes and tools that enable operations. There's no shortage of uncertainty in this endeavor - managing it with intelligence, speed and agility is our key to success. This position reports to the CEO and is located in Atlanta, GA.
- Distribute financial accountability to the lowest levels by providing each member of the team with financial intelligence to make high-quality decisions quickly within company-level context.
The Opportunity and How You'll Impact Hermeus:
- Accelerate and improve transparency of internal financial processes for purchasing, budgeting, accounting, and reporting
- Provide first-principles financial analysis and planning in support of financial decision making on cost, pricing, capital expenditures, debt and equity financing
- Lead proposal cost estimation and pricing efforts with business development
- Work closely with business development and legal teams on contracts
- Lead interfaces with external accounting and banking teams
- Support annual financial audits
- Run accounts payable and accounts receivable (invoicing, outgoing payments)
- Drive the design of the financial organization and build the team as the company grows
- Master’s degree in finance, business administration or other financial discipline
- 5-7+ years of experience in early-stage, CapEx-heavy technology companies
- Excellent problem solving skills
- Excellent communication skills
- Ability to obtain a security clearance
- Experience in aerospace or other hardware-focused startups
- Architecting complex systems (leveraging automation to run the repetitive financial functions with minimal human effort)
- Hiring lean finance teams
- Scaling (ideal is startup through exit, even in deputy role)
- Excellent relationship building and negotiation skills
- Strong understanding of government acquisition processes, regulations, and budget cycles
- Strong understanding of federal acquisition regulations and contract types (FAR, DFAR, OTA, SAA)
- Active security clearance
We encourage you to apply even if you have skillsets and experience outside of our current needs as we're always open to connect and discuss future opportunities.