CRAFT MEETS COMFORT. At Resident, we believe your living space shouldn’t just look good, it should feel good. That’s why we’ve created a house of brands that focuses on quality materials, timeless style, and most importantly, comfort. Our current brands include the award-winning Nectar, DreamCloud, Awara and Siena products and we continue to invest in new categories to broaden our offering and address our customer's needs.
Since inception in 2017, Resident has become one of the fastest-growing, scaled and profitable omni-channel retailers in North America. We are a disruptor in the broader home furnishings category underpinned by deep and proven expertise in data science & analytics, performance marketing and e-commerce technology and a fully-remote workforce (work from anywhere you prefer). As our business continues to grow, we are focused on building world-class retail, finance, operations, logistics, data science, performance marketing and customer success-driven teams that thrive in a modern work environment.
At Resident, our staff is dedicated to the values of Excellence, Customer Love, Big Thinking, Inclusivity, and Forward Momentum. We believe in being:
The proof is in the data. At Resident we look to real-time analytics to continually improve our products and customer experience.
We love numbers, but we’re obsessed with customer satisfaction. Their happiness is always our number one goal.
The best products at the best prices. A beautiful home should be comfortable, high-quality, and most of all attainable.
This is a fully remote position. To be considered for this opportunity you must reside within and have the right to work in the United States.
The Assistant Controller/Director of Accounting will be responsible for managing core accounting functions including revenue, accounts receivable, accounts payable, inventory, financial reporting, month end close and annual audits. The ideal candidate will be a strong hands-on team player as well as an effective and empathetic leader who can collaborate across the organization to implement and execute accounting strategies. The Assistant Controller/Director of Accounting will be a proactive, engaged problem-solver who embraces collaboration and is driven to improve processes to drive the company’s forward momentum! Responsibilities include:
- Developing and streamlining accounting processes and systems, and providing overall support and guidance to the management team
- Executing and managing key accounting functions of the company including Accounts Payable, Accounts Receivable, cash management, and the general ledger
- Creating and maintaining processes and procedures in accordance with a SOX compliant internal controls environment and ensuring financial compliance with appropriate GAAP standards
- Owning and managing the month-end close process, preparation of financial statements and establishing accounting policies and procedures
- Mentoring and encouraging team members with their development and career progression
- Leading the monthly and quarterly close process in support of all business functions
- Driving strategic financial projects, including accounting system upgrades/integrations and ERP expansion
- Partnering with Finance and other business partners on projects to help drive business decisions such as inventory management, gross margin improvement, resource allocation, etc.
- Bachelor’s degree (or equivalent) in Accounting or Finance with a solid understanding of US GAAP
- 8+ years of relevant accounting experience preferably in e-commerce, retail, or manufacturing industries
- Experience as a hands-on team player while managing and developing a high performing team
- Superb interpersonal and collaboration skills with the ability to build trust and develop strong relationships within G&A as well as across the organization
- Excellent communication skills, especially related to the creation and presentation of executive-level content
- Outstanding organizational skills with the ability to work on multiple projects simultaneously and flexibility to manage competing and changing priorities
- Experience in developing and improving processes, with a desire to inspire change
- Unquestionable integrity and accountability
- Detailed oriented with excellent technical accounting knowledge
- Expertise in Netsuite or other cloud-based ERP
- CPA a plus
- Public accounting experience a plus
Resident is committed to a policy of equal employment opportunity, and will not discriminate against an applicant or employee on the basis of race, color, religion, creed, national origin, ancestry, sex, gender, age, physical or mental disability, veteran or military status, genetic information, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, marital status, or any other legally recognized protected basis under federal, state, or local law.