Aalto is the direct real estate marketplace where buyers and sellers connect with no middlemen. Aalto is backed by Sequoia Capital. On Aalto, sellers share their homes with a flexible, no-risk, and efficient process, unlocking homes for sale months earlier than traditional real estate. This leads to more amazing homes for buyers, exclusively on Aalto. Tens of thousands of buyers and sellers across the Bay Area are using Aalto, with new, exclusive homes added hourly.
Learn more at aalto.com.
About the Role:
We're looking for our first Controller to join Aalto and report directly to our CEO. You will play a key role in establishing the Finance and Accounting team and bring rigor to our day-to-day operations and more predictability to our plan.
Who You Are:
- You have great business instincts: your strategic vision and opinions are highly valued because you are known to have excellent business acumen
- You have a strong moral compass: you hold yourself to a high standard and are transparent with your team
- You have experience building world-class accounting team and infrastructure in fast growing company
- You have experience in accounting practical problem-solving skills, and a good balance between strategic thinking and a willingness to roll up sleeves and dive into the details
- A partner to leadership and a highly effective people manager: you demonstrate initiative and curiosity about high level topics that will affect Aalto’s bottom line and you motivate others
- You’re analytical: you are comfortable owning our core financial model and telling a story with the data
- You’re able to work in a constantly-evolving environment and able to adapt quickly when goals and targets change
- You're proactive, a good listener, and a team player
- You possess 4+ years of relevant finance/accounting experience preferably with 2+ at an early stage startup
What You'll Do:
- Ensure accurate planning and execution of key initiatives
- Review and documentation of all accounting practices and recommendations for changes and improvements
- Own budgeting and hitting our plan, partnering with bizops on forecasting, and returns-profiling
- You have a detailed understanding of what drives growth and profitability
- Identify gaps in processes and improve the way we run
- Play an integral part in building out the team, advising leaders and driving initiatives to build a world-class Accounting and Finance organization
- Serve as a mentor and leader to the Finance team and help scale the function across all verticals (strategic finance, accounting, operations)
We are currently all working remotely and expect to continue with our remote-first culture past the pandemic but the majority of the team has a home base in the San Francisco Bay Area and we will have office space in summer 2022.
Aalto has a values-driven culture; we prioritize hiring individuals who are aligned with those values and holding our employees accountable. Being open, honest, and candid is part of the fabric of Aalto’s way of doing business. We’re thorough yet nimble, good listeners and open communicators, and have built a foundation of trust, innovation, but most importantly kindness. We’re slack first, we don’t e-mail, and the only meetings we add to our calendars are those that are necessary to building a world-class product. We value output, not hours. If you’re intrinsically motivated to revolutionize the real estate market, then you’ll be in great company with people rallied behind a common goal at Aalto.
Aalto pays 100% of healthcare premiums with comprehensive healthcare and benefit plan, unlimited time off, flexible spending account, and generous parental leave among other benefits. We offer a competitive salary and equity for all full-time employees regardless of level.
Read Full Job Description