Controller at Credible (Remote)
Who is Credible?
We are a marketplace where users can compare personalized, prequalified rates and quotes from multiple lenders and carriers, for student loans, mortgages, personal loans and insurance.
We’re challenging the status quo by giving power to the consumer. We believe in a world where ‘ethical’, ‘lending’, and ‘insurance’ can coexist, so we set out to build innovative platforms that actually work for customers. Our mission is to help people find the best loan or insurance policy possible.
We believe researching and buying loans or insurance shouldn’t be confusing or complex, so we’ve focused on simplicity. We’ve created the only unbiased loan and insurance buying process out there, which makes finding options straightforward and clear.
About the Role:
Credible’s Financial Controller will own accounting, audit, and financial reporting. This role will require the Financial Controller to collaborate across all departments within the company, working closely with the Accounting team, and will play an integral part in the day-to-day management of Credible. Your contributions will fundamentally impact the business, its processes, results, and overall efficiency of both finance and operations. Credible is a data driven organization, you will be an integral part, driving decision making across the company.
Credible’s Financial Controller must be exceptionally driven, reliable, detail-focused, demonstrate the highest level of integrity at all times, and be hungry to drive Credible forward.
- Leads and directs accounting functions, all management and statutory financial reporting, revenue recognition, including accounts receivable, accounts payable, general ledger, and payroll. Ensuring timely and accurate monthly closings
- Deliver timely and accurate preparation of monthly financial reports for the Executive Team and the Board of Directors
- Maintain the fixed assets records and assure accuracy of the assets, capitalized costs, and amortization/depreciation entries
- Ensure that data from systems interfacing with the general ledger is accurately and promptly posted
- Maintain and enhance effective policies and procedures for both the accounting team and the company at large which are well-documented, communicated, and monitored
- Maintain and communicate the chart of accounts in a manner which assures accurate, efficient, and timely financial reporting to meet the needs of GAAP, tax reporting, and management decision making
- Cost effectively manages the accounting organization by optimizing the use of technology, as well as building a scalable infrastructure to support the future growth of the company
- Maintain and enhance an effective internal control environment based on meaningful well-documented ongoing financial risk assessment
- Work with the COO and FP&A team to assist with budget development, risk management, insurance, and financial planning and analysis
- Assist with the provision of information for interim/annual audits
- Prepare and submit various local tax and regulatory filings in compliance with local statutes
- Serve as a resource for management on matters of tracking spending, fiscal control, regulatory compliance, and accounting and reporting best practices. Stay current on accounting requirements, in particular GAAP requirements, and advise leadership on these matters as relevant
- Generally assist as is required to drive Credible’s company objectives
Education and Experience:
- Minimum of 10 years of accounting experience, with at least 6 years in a management capacity
- CPA certification with Big 4 accounting experience preferred
- Prior experience with a technology growth-stage company preferred
- Strong ethics and audit skills across all aspects of accounting and finance
- Excellent written and oral communication skills; a clear communicator
- Excellent supervisory, mentoring, and team-building skills
- Highly motivated self-starter, with a hands-on approach. Strong attention to detail and ability to work well under pressure
- Proven high standard of performance, eager to set and pursue aggressive goals and to work hard and smart to achieve them. Must be persistent, decisive, resourceful, proactive, and results-oriented
- Ability to understand all aspects of the organization’s business and to convey information to people with varying levels of financial expertise
- Demonstrated initiative and the ability to work effectively within time constraints
- Knowledge of Financial and ERP systems. Experience with Workday required
We combine the intelligence, expertise and confidence of a financial advisor with the approachability and honesty of a friend. In other words, we’re the friend you always wish you had in finance.
We are optimistic, challengers, trustworthy, clever, and smart. We are open and transparent. We strive to act as advisors by being friendly, objective, and open in our communication. We use language that is intelligent yet approachable. When appropriate, we’ll drop in a bit of wit to position ourselves as a fresh, reliable voice in the financial world.