Leads and directs the activities of an actuarial team and is accountable for contributing to establishing pricing strategy within the Healthcare business unit. Participate in the development of corporate pricing strategy for these products, in addition to strategy in individual large accounts.
Essential Duties & Responsibilities
1. Collaborates with and influences senior leadership in the development and implementation of pricing strategy for Healthcare Professional Liability products, primarily Hospitals and Physicians.
2. Oversees the pricing of large accounts, including ownership of pricing recommendations, management of actuarial team and workflow, enhancement of pricing tools and collaboration with cross-functional team to enhance pricing knowledge, accuracy and influence.
3. Drives innovation in pricing strategy and techniques by leveraging industry knowledge, sound actuarial methodology and diverse data sources.
4. Reports business progress to senior management, and makes recommendations as required.
5. Collaborates with internal business partners to ensure optimal implementation of business strategies; facilitates communication and provides technical guidance to Underwriting regarding the pricing of new and existing business and works with others (e.g., Claims, Finance) on actuarial issues.
6. Participates with senior leadership in the development and implementation of actuarial policies, business strategies and goals, regularly evaluating performance against goals, and holding self and team accountable for achieving desired results.
7. Remains current on state/territory issues and regulations, industry activity and trends. May represent the company in industry trade groups.
8. Directs the work activities and has full management responsibility for the performance and development of subordinate staff in accordance with corporate strategic direction.
May perform additional duties as assigned.
AVP or above
Skills, Knowledge & Abilities
1. Senior level knowledge of actuarial principles, practices and procedures and industry issues as they relate to the organization.
2. Ability to effectively lead, coach and develop an actuarial group.
3. Ability to achieve results by taking a proactive long-term view of business goals and objectives.
4. Excellent analytical, critical thinking and problem solving skills, with the ability to effectively plan and manage multiple projects and project work teams.
5. Ability to effectively interact and collaborate with all levels of CNA's internal and external business partners, possessing excellent communication, negotiation and presentation skills.
6. Ability to exercise professional judgment and assume responsibility for decisions which have an impact on people and quality of service.
7. Ability to solve issues with a sense of urgency; utilizes and manages all available resources to make informed decisions and achieve superior results.
8. Ability to creatively and effectively manage through ambiguous and challenging business problems, leads through change and takes appropriate levels of risk.
9. Demonstrates the knowledge and understanding of when and how to use metrics to make informed business decisions.
10. Knowledge of Microsoft Office Suite and other business-related software systems, including processing systems and applications.
Education & Experience
1. Bachelor's Degree, Masters preferred, in a relevant discipline or equivalent.
2. Typically a minimum of 10 years of related work experience, including prior management experience.
3. Career Associate or Fellowship accreditation preferred.