Accounting Policy Senior - Venture Investments and M&A at Coinbase
Coinbase has built the world's leading compliant cryptocurrency platform serving over 68 million accounts in more than 100 countries. With multiple successful products, and our vocal advocacy for blockchain technology, we have played a major part in mainstream awareness and adoption of cryptocurrency. We are proud to offer an entire suite of products that are helping build the cryptoeconomy and increase economic freedom around the world.
There are a few things we look for across all hires we make at Coinbase, regardless of role or team. First, we look for signals that a candidate will thrive in a culture like ours, where we default to trust, embrace feedback, disrupt ourselves, and expect sustained high performance because we play as a championship team. Second, we expect all employees to commit to our mission-focused approach to our work. Finally, we seek people with the desire and capacity to build and share expertise in the frontier technologies of crypto and blockchain, in whatever way is most relevant to their role.
The Accounting Policy and Reporting function is an integral component of Finance’s risk management and reporting process, driving consistent application of accounting policy and financial reporting across the company. We are looking for an Accounting Policy Senior, who has a positive attitude and is highly motivated to learn and grow within the organization, with a proven ability to thrive successfully in a fast paced multi-task oriented environment. This is a critical and high-profile position that will play a crucial role in identifying and addressing accounting policy issues and opportunities, including active interaction and collaboration with our financial reporting and product partners. This role will report to the Senior Manager of Accounting Policy and would involve partnering and collaborating with many stakeholders across the organization.
What you’ll be doing (ie. job duties):
- Research authoritative literature and provide technical accounting guidance on complex transactions such as acquisitions/divestitures, issuances of equity awards and instruments, investments and other non-routine complex business transactions
- Work closely with M&A team to provide technical accounting advice around deal structure and terms, and provide technical accounting expertise during the deal negotiation phase
- Evaluate applicability of new accounting literature and ensure accounting activities are U.S. GAAP and/or other relevant accounting frameworks (e.g., FRS 102, IFRS)
- Maintain a process for documenting accounting policies and position papers
- Assist in preparation and review of the Company's SEC financial statements and reporting disclosures for compliance with U.S. GAAP and other international frameworks
- Prepare timely, high quality technical accounting memos for submission to our independent auditor
What we look for in you (ie. job requirements):
- Bachelor’s Degree in Accounting or Finance with a CPA or equivalent
- Combination of private and public accounting experience preferred, with specific experience related to purchase price accounting and VIE analysis
- Strong technical accounting skills, with specific experience in ASC 810 and ASC 805
- Proficient with GAAP research tools and FASB codification topics
- Excellent written and oral communication skills
- Excellent organization, project management and analytical skills
- Meticulous and impeccable keen attention to detail
- High level and enthusiasm and curiosity to grow in your career in a multifaceted and growing company
- Demonstrated ability to work autonomously, coordinate the efforts of others and work well with people at a wide range of levels
Nice to haves:
- Experience or knowledge of blockchain technology and related transactions (e.g., staking, DeFi, etc.)
- Strong presentation and public speaking skills
Coinbase is committed to diversity in its workforce and is proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, creed, gender, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, sex, gender expression or identity, sexual orientation or any other basis protected by applicable law. Coinbase will also consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories in a manner consistent with applicable federal, state and local law. For US applicants, you may view Pay Transparency, Employee Rights and Equal Employment Opportunity is the Law notices by clicking on their corresponding links. Additionally, Coinbase participates in the E-Verify program in certain locations, as required by law.
Coinbase is also committed to providing reasonable accommodations to individuals with disabilities. If you need a reasonable accommodation because of a disability for any part of the employment process, please send an e-mail to [email protected] coinbase.com and let us know the nature of your request and your contact information. For quick access to screen reading technology compatible with this site click here to download a free compatible screen reader (free step by step tutorial can be found here). Please contact [email protected] coinbase.com for additional information or to request accommodations.Global Data Privacy Notice for Job Candidates and Applicants
Depending on your location, the General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR) and California Consumer Privacy Act (CCPA) may regulate the way we manage the data of job applicants. Our full notice outlining how data will be processed as part of the application procedure for applicable locations is available here: Ireland/EU, United Kingdom, and California. By submitting your application, you are agreeing to our use and processing of your data as required.