Empower the Individual Through Crypto
Gemini is a crypto exchange and custodian that allows customers to buy, sell, store, and earn more than 30 cryptocurrencies like bitcoin, bitcoin cash, ether, litecoin, and Zcash. Gemini is a New York trust company that is subject to the capital reserve requirements, cybersecurity requirements, and banking compliance standards set forth by the New York State Department of Financial Services and the New York Banking Law. Gemini was founded in 2014 by twin brothers Cameron and Tyler Winklevoss to empower the individual through crypto.
Crypto is about giving you greater choice, independence, and opportunity. We are here to help you on your journey. We build crypto products that are simple, elegant, and secure. Whether you are an individual or an institution, we want to help you buy, sell, and store your bitcoin and cryptocurrency. Crypto is not just a technology, it's a movement.
At Gemini, our mission is to empower the individual and that includes giving our employees flexibility of choice — our Office Optional Policy allows employees to choose to work from one of our physical locations or from home.
Select roles that are location-specific will still be eligible for flexible schedules.
The Department: Financial Operations
The Financial Operations and Accounting Teams at Gemini are thought leaders in the digital asset accounting and finance space. Our mandate is to bridge the traditional world of finance with the innovation of cryptocurrency products, providing our clients with a best-in-class financial institution experience.
The Role: Accounting Manager
Gemini is seeking a motivated leader with a drive to operate in a high-growth environment and strong experience in operational accounting. The position will be an entrusted cross-functional business partner supporting the Finance department and specific products at Gemini. The ideal candidate has excellent attention to detail, experience with complex accounting topics, and an ability to communicate complex ideas with a wide array of stakeholders.
- Participate in the accounting close and manage assigned accounting areas through preparation of accounting entries and account reconciliations
- Analyze fluctuations in the Company's balance sheet and income statement and present explanations for significant variances
- Work with the Technical Accounting team to develop and document process flows and procedures to operationalize, implement new and/or relevant accounting standards (i.e. Leases, CECL) to aid global operations and compliance
- Develop new / enhance existing accounting policies and procedures, and internal controls over financial reporting (ICFR) including drafting of desktop procedures related to digital assets.
- Be an essential part of the annual audit with both internal and external auditors, the accounting team, and executive management
- A Bachelor’s degree in accounting / finance.
- 6+ years of experience, preferably Big4 and fin-tech or financial service industry experience
- CPA (or equivalent) required
- Comprehensive and current understanding of US GAAP, including recently issued accounting pronouncements, and SEC reporting principles and regulations
- Able to work well in a dynamic environment and be able to recommend and implement process improvements, work autonomously and handle multiple tasks simultaneously
- Experience working through ambiguity to communicate clear accounting positions and operational solutions
- Excellent communication skills, both written and verbal
- Significant proficiency in MS Excel and Google Sheets
- Experience with Looker, Netsuite / Sage, Floqast is a bonus
- Basic knowledge of blockchain technology and the crypto industry
It Pays to Work Here
We take a holistic approach to compensation at Gemini, which includes:
- Competitive Compensation and Profit-Sharing Equity
- Flexible vacation policy
- Retirement Plan Matching
- Generous Parental leave
- Comprehensive health plans
- Training and professional development
At Gemini, we strive to build diverse teams that reflect the people we want to empower through our products, and we are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, gender identity, or Veteran status. Equal Opportunity is the Law, and Gemini is proud to be an equal opportunity workplace and affirmative action employer. If you have a specific need that requires accommodation, please let a member of the People Team know.