Working at Laika
At Laika, we are on a mission to transform an industry that’s never been known for innovation, but we aren’t letting that stop us. We love collaborating to come up with new ways to solve problems that would stump other teams, and have created a workplace where the best idea wins and we bring out the best in each other.
Our team is full of entrepreneurial people with a bias toward action, an insatiable intellectual curiosity, and a desire to learn and grow personally and professionally. By bringing remarkably talented people together, we have the opportunity to create something truly amazing for our customers and our team.
What We Do
Laika combines simple software with expert guidance to help SaaS companies manage security compliance, security audits, and enterprise procurement security diligence. Laika helps companies adopt stage-appropriate compliance practices that enterprises can trust and reduce the time and costs of security audits by 50% or more.
We are a rapidly expanding team based in New York. We were founded in May 2019 and have received investment from top investors including J.P. Morgan, PayPal Ventures, Canapi Ventures, and Bain Capital. We're growing customers and revenue like crazy and poised for continued break-out growth in 2022 and beyond.
What We Are Looking For
We’re looking for an ambitious finance/accounting professional who is eager to roll up their sleeves and play a critical role in the build-out of our finance department. As one of the early finance hires, we’re looking for an intellectually curious, self-starter with passion, grit, and strong bias towards action. Someone that is flexible and excited by an entrepreneurial, fast-moving environment.
This is an important role at a formative time in Laika’s evolution - the Accounting Manager will have the opportunity to work directly with department leads and present key insights to upper-level management.
What You’ll Do
- Own the preparation of GAAP financial statements, including document preparation, data analysis, integrity validation and reconciliation processes
- Oversee the order to cash cycle, with a focus on revenue recognition and adoption of ASC 606
- Support the accounts payable process to ensure proper and consistent coding and timely payments for vendors and employee expenses
- Participate in the ongoing development/establishment of Standard Operating Procedure (SOP) documents for accounting policies and regulations
- Build out the processes related to the preparation and coordination activities required in preparation for annual financial audit and tax filings
- Write and maintain accounting memorandums and define accounting policies and internal controls to ensure appropriate accounting treatment under U.S. GAAP
- Identify areas for improvement and control enhancements across the finance and accounting functions
- Assist with cross functional ad-hoc projects as needed
- BA/BS in accounting or finance
- Minimum of 4-6 years of experience; Big 4 experience and/or CPA is preferred
- Demonstrated knowledge of accounting and financial systems, processes, and all applicable accounting and tax standards
- Knowledge and application of GAAP accounting principles
- Ability to adapt to change, effectively manage multiple tasks/projects, and provide timely feedback and visibility while keeping management aware of key issues
- Strong analytical skills and ability to deep dive into solving problems and data inconsistency
- Advanced Microsoft Excel skills with focus on efficiency / process improvement
- Exceptional interpersonal skills for building strong relationships across all levels of the organization
Really nice to have
- Familiarity with Xero, Salesforce, SaaSOptics, or similar cloud-based CRM, finance, accounting platforms
- Experience with enterprise SaaS and familiarity with terms such as ARR, NDR, CAC, LTV
- Understanding of ASC 606 in relation to SaaS business
Compensation & Benefits
- The salary range for this position is $125,000 to $145,000, placement will be based on experience and skill set
- Immediate access to healthcare, dental, and vision
- Early equity in a fast-growing company
- Hybrid work from home model (or remote)
- Unlimited PTO
- $800 stipend for home office equipment
- Quarterly wellness stipend
- Paid courses and certifications
Laika provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment and prohibits discrimination and harassment of any type without regard to race, color, religion, age, national origin, disability status, genetics, protected veteran status, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local laws.
This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation and training.
Even if you feel you don’t meet every requirement, consider applying! Laika acknowledges the research which shows that women and people of color are less likely to apply for jobs when they don’t meet all of the stated qualifications. However, we’re looking for authentic innovators to blaze new trails and you just may be the right person for this or another role.