CNA's Financial Control Team within the Corporate Finance Department is comprised of financial experts who collaborate with business leaders to establish and manage internal controls over financial reporting while educating the company on financial risk. We serve in a second line of defense capacity to provide governance over the control activities of the Company.
This Director role will develop a deep understanding of their supported business areas to ensure key business activities, initiatives and processes are effectively controlled. Through a comprehensive view of the business, this role offers leadership opportunities to make an impact on CNA's financial control environment. This role focuses on working with assigned business areas to influence their business leaders to ensure an appropriate control environment exists, function as a liaison between the business and our auditors, and lead special projects.
The Director role will lead a team of professionals responsible for all aspects of talent management including goal setting, evaluation, coaching and development planning.
Essential Duties & Responsibilities
1. Directs the work activities and has full management responsibility for the performance and development of subordinate staff in accordance with corporate strategic direction.
2. Implements and administers established accounting policies, procedures and practices.
3. Ensures accurate and timely recording and reporting of operating results.
4. Provides financial analysis, interpretation of variances from budgets and standards, and advice to management.
5. Oversees the preparation of budgets and forecasts. Consults with management team in the development and execution of strategic and operational plans and budgets based on departmental and corporate goals and objectives.
6. Ensures maintenance of general accounting, cost accounting, payroll, payables and receivables.
7. Makes work assignments, schedules and reviews work in progress.
8. Establishes modifications to corporate procedures.
9. Participates in determining the proper accounting treatment of complex or unusual transactions.
10. Supervises preparation of and approves reports.
May perform additional duties as assigned.
AVP or VP
Skills, Knowledge & Abilities
1. Highest level knowledge of accounting/finance principles, practices and procedures and industry issues.
2. Ability to effectively lead, coach and develop a team while encouraging creativity and innovation.
3. Ability to achieve results by taking a proactive long-term view of business goals and objectives.
4. Excellent analytical and problem solving skills, with the ability to manage and prioritize multiple projects.
5. Excellent organizational skills.
6. Strong communication and presentation skills, with the ability to interface with departmental staff, internal and external management, customers and other business units.
7. Ability to exercise professional judgment and assume responsibility for decisions which have an impact on people and quality of service.
8. Strong computer skills including Microsoft Office Suite and other business-related software systems.
Education & Experience
1. Bachelor's Degree in accounting or finance, CPA preferred.
2. Typically a minimum of nine to twelve years related work experience.