VP of Engineering at VolunteerMatch (Remote)
About the VP of Engineering
VolunteerMatch is looking for a hands-on VP of Engineering with API experience. The goal of this new position is to work in collaboration with the Product Management and business teams to accelerate the digital transformation of VolunteerMatch and amplify the successful execution of its strategic plans.
The ideal candidate will have strong intellectual curiosity, enjoy complex technical problems, thrive in a fast-paced environment, and have experience with modern software development processes. Working closely with the Product Management and business partners, the role will help plan, build, and deliver the best possible experiences for customers and subsequent value for the company through its technology products and API services. The VP of Engineering will participate in technical design, make decisions around technology, coordinate with the Product Management team to ensure product roadmaps are aligned to engineering level resourcing and task plans, and serve as the primary source of “ground truth” for engineering planning and execution.
- Build and foster a culture that includes teaching and learning, transparency, collaboration, and an urgency to deliver more value to our users
- Work to ensure career, skill, and personal development for individual contributors within the team
- Be a key part of an inclusive environment that fosters collaboration and creativity both internally and externally
- Identify and evaluate emerging technologies or industry innovations that may impact the organization’s value proposition
- Provide visibility into engineering capacity, resource contention, and the impact of future work on roadmap
- Determine and execute on an additive outsourcing resource strategy, make choices about vendors and project assignment, and manage outputs
- Continuously optimize our engineering process and standards, without fear of failure, to make our team as efficient and productive as we can be
- Be an evangelist for the Engineering team and the work that it produces internally and externally
- Contribute to product strategy and roadmap in partnership with Product Management
- Lead technical designs and actively contribute to the code base and build Engineering Best Practices through code reviews and KPI monitoring
- Ensure that VolunteerMatch is in compliance with security and privacy requirements as well as sensitive digital information (e.g. GDPR compliance), and manage policies and procedures related to the use of our technology for both employees and customers
- 10+ years of related experience at high-tech software organizations, with at least 5 years in technical and people management
- Bachelor’s degree in related field required; Computer Science/Electrical Engineering preferred
- Working knowledge of AWS services and technologies.
- Knowledgeable about the full spectrum of web technology - API's, mobile, security, scalability/fault-tolerance, etc.
- Experienced with Java, and relational databases like MySQL
- Expertise building externally consumed APIs (REST/GraphQL)
- Broad SDLC toolkit and the ability to implement what works best for us, with a history of using customer feedback, data and analytics to inform innovation and growth