VP of Engineering Strategy and Operations at Fivetran
From Fivetran’s founding until now, our mission has remained the same: to make access to data as simple and reliable as electricity. With Fivetran, customer data arrives in their warehouses, canonical and ready to query, with no engineering or maintenance required. We’re proud that more organizations continue to leverage our technology every day to become truly data-driven.
Job Description Overview
The mission for the VP of Engineering Strategy and Operations is to (a) drive the strategic direction of the Engineering organization with the Head of Engineering and (b) to accelerate the highest level of execution excellence for the Fivetran engineering and support departments. This position is instrumental in establishing, operating, and improving our high-performance next-generation business operating system for engineering and support.
The Engineering Strategy and Operations team is responsible for annual and quarterly planning, managing our KPIs and goals, engineering program management, process management, business analytics, and technical enablement. The ideal candidate must have held a senior software engineering management position before and is intimately familiar with the key metrics, processes, and responsibilities in engineering and support.
Prior experience in building and running a PMO and being very proactive in engaging with all engineering, support, product management, and executive stakeholders is key to the success of this position. The optimal candidate will also have demonstrated strong individual and leadership skills in driving strategy sessions and outcomes, financial modeling, reporting, and has hands-on experience with annual and quarterly planning.
As Fivetran’s VP of Engineering Strategy and Operations, you will be responsible and accountable for:
- Engineering Annual Strategy, Planning and Execution: You will report to the Head of Engineering and work with the Engineering Leadership team and non-engineering leaders to craft the annual engineering strategy, plan and ensure that we execute against the plan.
- Engineering Leadership Rhythm of Business (ROB): You will own the management of quarterly OKRs, QBRs, improvement programs, weekly leadership meetings, and other recurring ROB activities.
- Strategy and Operations Communication and Collaboration: You and your team will drive the all-engineering and all-company communication that pertains to engineering. You will manage the engineering leadership strategy meetings. You are the engineering point-of-contact for cross-functional stakeholders such as finance, people operations, legal etc.
- Program Management Office: You will manage a PMO that establishes, maintains, and oversees engineering programs and project management processes and practices. Program managers manage key engineering and support programs and initiatives.
- Engineering Operations: You will manage an Engineering Operations team that establishes global engineering management processes and oversees their execution within the engineering departments. Examples of such processes are quarterly feature planning, operational improvements, quarterly OKRs and the monitoring of KPIs.
- Engineering Technical Enablement: You will manage a Technical Enablement team that is responsible for the entire employee development journey, starting with onboarding. You will ensure our enablement efforts are driven with a strategic direction, leveraging any learned skills for product development, organizational efficiency, and/or specific needs of the business.
- Engineering Business Analytics: With a dedicated analyst, you will ensure that we have an industry-leading set of metrics and KPIs in place to provide engineering insights and controls. Managing all aspects of the engineering financials, headcount plans and annual operating plan is key to this function.
- Experience in strategic collaboration and strategy implementation with the head of engineering
- 10+ years of experience working with engineering leadership teams
- Experience scaling and managing 10+ person teams
- Experience managing managers and managing international teams
- You held a similar role in a 300+ team member SaaS/agile engineering organization before, at least at the Director level
- You have built or at a minimum managed a PMO before
- You know how to drive change and execution and you are very proactive in doing so
- You build and maintain strong working relationships with other engineering leaders resulting in solid partnerships across functions
- Strong operational propensity that manifests itself by always being one step ahead of the rest of the engineering leadership team
- Outstanding and proactive communication and leadership experience, with particular emphasis on holding other engineering teams and leaders accountable
- You collaborate effectively with non-engineering stakeholders and executive leadership teams
- Strong experience in engineering processes, OKRs and KPIs
- Strong financial planning and management skills
- Experience evaluating (build vs buy), scaling, and/or building internal tools for operational efficiency
- Ability to travel internationally (EMEA, APAC) for 2 weeks a quarter
- Experience with extensive scaling phases in a company
- Experience in managing technical enablement teams
- Experience managing support teams
- 100% paid Medical, Dental, Vision and Basic Life Insurance. Benefits begin on your first day!
- Option of Health Savings Account (HSA) or Flexible Savings Account (FSA)
- Generous paid time off (PTO) plus paid sick time, holidays, parental leave, and volunteer days off
- 401k match program
- Eligible donation match program
- Monthly cell phone stipend
- Work-from-home equipment reimbursement for your home office setup!
- Professional development and training opportunities
- Company virtual happy hours and fun team building activities
- Pet Insurance -- and yes, you can bring your well-behaved fur babies to work
- Commuter benefits to help with transit and parking costs
We’re honored to be valued at over $5.6 billion, but more importantly, we’re proud of our core values of Get Stuck In, Do the Right Thing, and One Team, One Dream. To learn more about Fivetran’s culture and what it’s like to be part of the team, click here and enjoy our video.