SpotHero is seeking a nonconformist VP of Engineering to help lead, shape, and scale SpotHero’s fast-growing Engineering team. We are in the midst of building a two-sided marketplace through a strategic application of technology, and we need a curious, futuristic leader who can help us execute this vision.
You will be in the driver's seat in this role which is a unique opportunity to stay close to technology with roughly half of your time spent in Engineering and the other half spent working on the Engineering department in partnership with the Chief Technology Officer.
Sound like you? Keep reading!
The Engineering team is currently comprised of 4 engineering departments (dubbed “leagues”):
- Drivers (Mobile and Web)
- Engineering Enablement (Platform, SecOps, Automation, Dev Tools, IT)
- Operator (Dashboards, Integrations, Payment Processing, Heroes Tools)
- Reporting, Insights, and Prediction (Data Science, Data Engineering, Business Analytics, SHIQ)
As VP of Engineering you will be responsible for:
- Co-leading the engineering department while reporting directly to the CTO
- Working with Chief Architect Officer and Co-Founder on Architectural issues
- Stay close to the technology while leading two engineering leagues
- Strategize on and deliver engineering goals in support of product & business goals
- Champion the delivery of quality software efficiently, and predictably, to meet the demands of our customers.
- Recruit, develop, and retain a high-performance, world-class engineering team
- Curate the Engineering Leagues to ensure they remain highly effective structures to deliver world-class software and infrastructure
- Directly mentor, coach, and nurture engineering directors, managers, and engineers toward success!
- Collaborate with company leadership, customers, and the product team on strategic planning to evolve our architecture, security, and scale without sacrificing product delivery.
- Partner with our product team to drive long-term roadmaps from ideation to execution, and onward through continuous iteration.
- Expand our engineering team by working closely with our Talent team to recruit, hire, and onboard top talent.
- Foster a collaborative culture with a strong emphasis on teamwork, diversity, and creative innovation.
- Create continuous learning and development plans to further develop your team’s engineering skills and product knowledge. We believe technical and human development is key to our success!
- Thoughtfully deploy the engineering budget to maximize the impact of the team and provide a HA experience for our customers
Who You Are
- You bring high EQ and low ego resulting in confidence to share the leadership spotlight and the opportunity to retain & hone your craft as an engineer
- Previous success building and scaling an engineering team to 200+ people
- You are a proven leader with 3+ years of experience managing engineering directors and ancillary engineering support disciplines. You are motivated by empowering the people around you and watching them thrive!
- You can point to multiple examples of coaching high performing individual contributors into excellent engineering managers and directors
- Early track record of success as an engineering IC where you shipped consumer facing products (web or mobile) with millions of users. Bonus points if you’ve been a staff level engineer in one area of engineering.
- You understand agile methodology, a variety of programming languages, and relish getting deep into code (when you can)
- You are able to bring humans together to create an empowering and inclusive work environment – especially in global, distributed teams
- You know your way around a variety of tech platforms (e.g. iOS, Android, ETL, and Web) built on top of a distributed system in either Kotlin, Golang, or Python. You pay attention to both our architecture and system design and you understand the impact of Conways’ Law.
- You have experience with AWS or GCP and have previously developed software-at-scale.
- You are passionate about DevOps culture and modern Infrastructure practices (i.e. CI/CD), and have knowledge in QA, automated testing, and testing frameworks.
- You are incredibly curious and always learning about technology and humans
Don’t check all of the boxes? Please still apply! We'd love to meet you and hear how you can help SpotHero drive into the future.
What we offer
- Career game changer– a truly unique experience to work for a fast-growing startup in a role with unlimited potential for growth.
- Top notch benefits:
- In the US we cover up to 90% of Medical Premiums, 50% of Dental & Vision Premiums, company sponsored Life Insurance, matching 401K, and generous parental leave.
- In Canada, we offer Medical (prescription drug and paramedical coverage), Dental, Vision, Life Insurance, STD and LTD, and very soon matched RRSP
- Flexible, unlimited PTO policy and supportive work-life balance – we value and support every Hero on the team, and create space for life!
- Annual parking stipend (we help people park!)
- The opportunity to collaborate with fun, innovative, and passionate people in a casual, yet highly productive atmosphere.
- Our award-winning culture has received recognition from Built In’s 2021 Moxie Awards, as a 2021 Best Places to Work in Chicago, Top Company Culture by Entrepreneur, 2022 Best Places to Work in Chicago by BuiltIn, and recipients of the Best Company Culture, Best Company for Women, and Best Company for Diversity awards from Comparably!
Steps to apply: Please include any GitHub account, LinkedIn profile, and any project that you’re particularly proud of. We love seeing work that others loved working on.
At SpotHero, we Respect Fellow Drivers by providing an inclusive interview experience for everyone, including people with disabilities. We are happy to provide reasonable accommodations to candidates in need of individualized support during the hiring process. Please let our team know of your need when you apply or as you begin interviewing with our team.
SpotHero is an equal opportunity employer. We know that a diverse workforce is the strongest workforce, and are committed to building and supporting an inclusive environment for all.