Undersea Applications Engineer at STR
STR is hiring an Undersea Applications Engineer who can apply knowledge in ocean mechanical/electrical engineering, sonar and signal processing, and software development to support applied research in the design, development, integration and fielding of advanced prototype sensors, sources, modems, arrays, platforms, and systems. As an Undersea Applications Engineer, you will collaborate with a diverse team of engineers responsible for fielding first-of-kind innovative prototype systems (UUV payloads, distributed sonar, remote sensing, etc.). This often involves early trade studies and designs that progressively lead to the development of prototyped systems tested in ocean environments to show new and novel system concepts. You will take pride in having real impact with opportunity to grow through supporting of a variety of projects.
- Ability to obtain a Security Clearance
- MS or BS degree with 5+ years' background in physical oceanography, underwater acoustics, signal and sonar processing, ocean engineering, electrical engineering, mechanical engineering, physics, applied mathematics or related field.
- 10+ years experience
- Knowledge of one or more of the following topic areas: underwater acoustic propagation and processing related to sonar or communications; UUV design, design tools, and component technology; embedded processing; architectures for unmanned systems; sensor, source, and array design (towed, conformal, drifting, or bottomed).
- Experience with field testing, especially at-sea testing including system deployment, operation, and recovery operations.
- Interest and aptitude for working on large, complex technical projects and teams
- Ability to interact with technical and non-technical customers and external teammates to understand their technical issues, frame potential solutions and develop collaborative projects
- Scientific curiosity and creativity
- Skills in MATLAB, Python, and/or C/C++