Our Engineering Team is searching for an experienced Telematics & Connectivity Systems Engineer to be responsible for connectivity of vehicles to the cloud via cell network. While autonomous vehicles have been around for years, we are finally bringing this technology to market at scale. With over 100,000 public autonomous rides, and partnerships with major ride hailing partners, a role at Motional offers the chance to drive the next revolution in mobility.
The Motional Pittsburgh office is located in the new Hazelwood Green development at 4734 Second Avenue, a culmination of the city’s goal of restoring an economic driver to the neighborhood in a thoughtful, inclusive, and sustainable way. With views along the Monongahela river, the Pittsburgh office is in the heart of this new state of the art development.
What you'll be doing:
- Work cross functionally with software, hardware, IT and product teams to understand the cloud connectivity needs for the vehicles
- Develops technical telematics specifications
- Deliver vehicle connectivity solutions leveraging commercial telematic communication software and hardware capabilities for on-vehicle platforms and associated services
- Work with mobile network providers to identify connectivity solutions
- Help to deliver outstanding requirements, system definition, implementation, testing and debugging strategy
- Develop and execute connectivity test plans for vehicle telematics
- Troubleshoot incidents, identify root cause, fix and document problems, and implement preventive measures as it relates to vehicle connectivity
- Support hardware certification and testing activities
What we're looking for:
- Bachelor's degree in Electrical or Computer Engineering
- 3+ years of experience in wireless communication systems integration, IoT, certification and cellular performance evaluation
- Experience with end-to-end system integration of vehicle to back office involving 4G LTE/5G networks
- Knowledge of Telematics Hardware, cellular communication technologies, protocols and procedures (i.e. CMDA, LTE, 5G, eSIM)
- Familiar with US carriers lab conformance and regulatory (FCC/GCF/PTCRB/IC) certification testing.
- Experience in configuration and integration of cellular public/private APNs with IT networks
- Experience with Linux and scripting software
- Hands-on experience of working in lab environment with different equipment and vehicle electrical systems
Bonus Points (not required
- 3+ years of experience testing and working with modems and antennas
- Experience in automotive communication protocols such as CAN and Ethernet
If you don’t meet 100% of the qualifications outlined above - that’s okay! We encourage you to apply if you think this is a role that would make you excited to come into work every day and that you can deliver the results we need.
Motional is a driverless technology company making self-driving vehicles a safe, reliable, and accessible reality.
The Motional team is made up of engineers, researchers, innovators, dreamers and doers, who together are creating a first-of-its-kind technology with the potential to transform the way we move. We’re behind some of the industry's largest leaps forward, including the first fully-autonomous cross-country drive in the U.S, the launch of the world's first robotaxi pilot, and operation of the world's most-established public robotaxi fleet.
As a leader in an emerging industry that has the promise of creating safer, more reliable and accessible transportation for all, it’s imperative we have a diverse workforce, create an inclusive culture, and understand the communities we operate in around the world.
Diversity, Equity and Inclusion is fundamental to Motional’s success. That’s why we’ve established a team to ensure DEI is at the forefront of the candidate and employee experience, beginning with the hiring process and continuing throughout your career. We also partner with organizations like the National Society of Black Engineers, the Society of Hispanic Professional Engineers, and the Society of Women Engineers to ensure our DEI work is informed by the latest thinking and approaches.
Strategically formed by Hyundai Motor Group and Aptiv, Motional is fundamentally changing how people move through their lives. Headquartered in Boston, Motional has operations in the U.S and Asia. For more information, visit www.Motional.com and follow us on Twitter, LinkedIn, Facebook, Instagram and YouTube.
Motional AD Inc. is an EOE. We celebrate diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees. To comply with Federal Law, we participate in E-Verify. All newly-hired employees are queried through this electronic system established by the DHS and the SSA to verify their identity and employment eligibility.