Technoprops Software Engineer
Los Angeles, CA at The Walt Disney Company
Technoprops is well known for our HMCs (Helmet Mounted Cameras), but we also create a wide range of Virtual Production hardware (Avatar), Animatronics (Narnia), Miniatures (Orville), custom electronics, and bespoke hardware and software. As part of the team, the software engineer’s job is to design and support many of the products we are known for and to work with creative heads to invent and design new products for filmmakers.What you’ll do
- Design applications, with both desktop and web-based GUIs, to facilitate use of Technoprops on set devices by a wide range of technical aptitudes
- Implement, adapt and design UDP, TCP and Serial protocols for communicating with Technoprops and third-party hardware and software
- Develop and implement 3D transforms, sensor fusion and other algorithms
- Design plugins for third-party software to integrate data from Technoprops products
- Support, maintain and expand existing Technoprops software tools and documentation
- Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science, Engineering or a related field
- General IT administration knowledge
- Expert knowledge of C++ and Python (2.7 and 3.x) on Windows and Linux
- Skilled designing interfaces using GUI toolkits: Qt, PyQt/PySide, etc.
- Experience with version control tools including git
- General knowledge of 3D modeling/animation and game engine software (e.g.: Maya, UE4)
- Experience with video recording/compression
- An intuitive understanding of the demands of a fast-paced, creatively-driven visual effects production environment.
- Collaboration: a readiness to trust others, be trustworthy, and play nice.
- Communication: an ability to express yourself concisely, a willingness to speak up, and a conviction to keep everyone informed of progress and issues.
- Empathy: an ability to listen intently and understand others’ needs.
- Creativity: an insightful and analytical thinker, and a creative problem solver
- Nice to have:
- Machine vision and image processing
- Embedded Linux kernel module development
- C/C++ firmware development for 16- and 32-bit microcontrollers
- Proficiency with realtime workflows and virtual production technology
- On set experience
This position is with Lucasfilm Entertainment Company Ltd. LLC, which is part of a business segment we call Industrial Light & Magic. Lucasfilm Entertainment Company Ltd. LLC is an equal opportunity employer. Applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, protected veteran status or any other basis prohibited by federal, state or local law. Lucasfilm fosters a business culture where ideas and decisions from all people help us grow, innovate, create the best stories and be relevant in a rapidly changing world. **FOR U.S. BASED NEW HIRES ONLY:** We are taking a responsible approach to creating environments that allow us to do what we do best - entertain and inform millions around the world. As part of our commitment to health and safety, COVID-19 vaccines are required for current U.S. salaried and non-union hourly employees, as well as all newly hired U.S. employees.