Technical Lead at Protective Life (Birmingham, AL)
| Birmingham, AL
Sorry, this job was removed at 4:50 p.m. (CST) on Monday, October 17, 2022
The work we do has an impact on millions of lives, and you can be a part of it.
We help protect our customers against life’s uncertainties. Regardless of where you work within the company, you’ll be helping provide protection and peace of mind when our customers need it most.
This person will be a technical leader of a cross-functional agile delivery team and business vertical helping build our next-generation platforms and processes. The Tech Lead will assist in planning, designing, and leading the team to execute technical solutions. This role will be critical in the team successfully executing business roadmaps by partnering with senior executives and business leaders in the planning process. This person will assist the team in breaking down the business roadmaps and plans into technical deliverables that deliver consistent value. They will provide technical oversight throughout all aspects of the development lifecycle. This role will report to the Senior Director of IT Architecture.
This person must be effective at building and growing highly effective teams and owning/adapting processes for design, application development, release management, and testing. This person must be able to change and adapt to a fast-paced environment and create and augment processes to maximize team effectiveness.
This position requires strong analytical, problem-solving, leadership, and organizational skills while maintaining a sense of urgency to meet individual and team deadlines and goals. This person must demonstrate leadership capabilities among peers and can think from a strategic perspective. Excellent oral and written communication skills are needed for effective collaboration with others, both internal and external to the organization, to achieve desired results. This person should be inquisitive, seek improvements, and demonstrate strong attention to detail.
Strategy and Design Functions
- Act as a trusted technical advisor to the Product Manager and Product Owner.
- Work closely with Architects, Analysts, and Business Subject Matter Experts to develop a clear and convincing technical vision and implementation strategy that aligns with the business goals and drivers.
- Work with Enterprise Architects, IT Risk, and IT Governance to ensure the platforms and solutions developed conform to all IT policies and standards.
- Research and evaluate new tools to support domain-specific needs.
- Work with the Product Manager and Product Owner to develop the technical runway to enable the team to deliver on strategy.
Development and Delivery Functions
- Oversight of the day-to-day technical activities of the delivery team.
- Drive predictability, consistency, performance, and quality in the engineering practice.
- Provides one-on-one guidance to team members to help them understand and prioritize their work.
- Conducts reviews to ensure the architectural design is sound, scalable, and leads to faster delivery.
- Work with Product Owners to build and update release plans
- Works to implement automated test plans to enable continuous delivery.
- Assist in transforming the team into a continuous release mindset using DevOps.
Work Experience, Education, Certification/Training Required
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent certifications/experience required
- 10 + years of IT experience in software and/or application delivery.
- Experience in the Insurance industry and/or LOMA coursework preferred; FLMI certification a plus
- Experience with any of the following technologies a plus: MS Dynamics (D365), MuleSoft, API Integrations, web development, system integrations, and/or data engineering
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities Required
- Ability to lead, influence and modify behaviors on a team comprised of IT and Business resources
- Ability to foster relationships and establish credibility quickly
- Sound understanding of software development life cycle and successful management of multiple full lifecycle projects is required, Agile experience is highly preferred.
- Demonstrate broad knowledge of multiple business areas, and industry to identify and communicate how IT solutions can support the achievement of short-and long-term business goals
- Leadership and negotiation skills, with driving desire and high propensity to learn quickly and develop oneself
- Ability to work with people to proactively identify and evaluate risks associated with business decisions
- Ability to communicate clearly, negotiate, listen, mitigate conflict, build alliances, and achieve desired results using strong interpersonal and diplomacy skills
- Ability to work independently, with little management direction, and within a team environment
- Able to work productively under high levels of ambiguity
- Skilled at asking questions and professionally challenging to uncover important facts and information
- Has the courage to make decisions, but also has the wisdom to know when a decision needs to be escalated
- Builds consensus among diverse groups of people; highly skilled at facilitating resolution across functions and departments
- Has the confidence to engage and work productively with business leaders
- Strong team orientation
- Strong analytical and problem solving skills. Ability to quickly understand how various elements relate to one another. Have an end-to-end perspective of decisions to anticipating issues/roadblocks.
We aim to protect our employees' wellbeing through a broad benefits offering. For example, we protect physical wellbeing through health, dental and vision insurance. We protect mental wellbeing through mental health benefits and an employee assistance program. We protect time away from work with a variety of paid time away benefits (e.g., paid time off, paid parental leave, short-term disability, and a cultural observance day). We protect financial wellbeing through contributions to healthcare accounts, a pension plan, and a 401(k) plan with Company matching. All employees are encouraged to protect their overall wellbeing by engaging in ProHealth Rewards, Protective’s platform to improve wellbeing while earning cash rewards.
Eligibility for certain benefits may vary by position in accordance with the terms of the Company’s benefit plans.
Diversity and Inclusion:
At Protective, we are committed to providing an inclusive culture where all employees are able to fully contribute and thrive. Our goal is to grow and develop our people, attract diverse talent and support strong, diverse communities.
We support diversity, equity, and inclusion by working to develop a culture of inclusion and belonging led by leaders who develop potential and embrace unique skills and abilities. Our aim is to create an equitable and accountable environment for all leaders and employees that will drive performance and impact business strategy. In this way, we can increase overall diversity for leadership roles and pipelines of talent by maturing our hiring practices, robust development opportunities and focus on retention of key talent.
We are proud to be an equal opportunity employer committed to being inclusive and attracting, retaining, and growing the talents of a diverse and inclusive workforce.
More Information on Protective Life
Protective Life operates in the Insurance industry. The company is located in Birmingham, AL. It has 2912 total employees. It offers perks and benefits such as Flexible Spending Account (FSA), Disability insurance, Dental insurance, Vision insurance, Health insurance and Life insurance. To see all 59 open jobs at Protective Life, click here.
Read Full Job Description