Dispatch, headquartered in Boston, is one of the fastest-growing software companies in America. Leveraging our proprietary adaptive platform and industry-leading technology integrations, Dispatch partners with customer-centric brands to simplify complex home service networks.
While we build software, we are not just a software vendor. We are a brand partner – delivering extraordinary value using a synthesis of our platform, people, and partnership approach. Backed by Vista Equity Partners, Dispatch continues to revolutionize the home service experience for brands, service providers, and end customers just like you.
We’re on the hunt for a talented Technical Lead Software Engineer to join our team.
Join our highly skilled and motivated engineering team to build a world-class platform. In this role, you will be given meaningful ownership over a variety of projects that span the tech stack and will have a direct impact on company outcomes. On a given day, you can be working on projects ranging from handling big data to building APIs to improving site load times or implementing new product features on the front-end and everything in between. You’ll work in small agile pods, and we will look to you to drive innovation by delivering new product features and functionality.
As a Technical Lead Software Engineer at Dispatch, you will be entrusted to innovate and constantly improve our products to deliver a platform and experience our customers love to use. You will solve complex business and scalability problems and help define the direction of the product as well as work across the entire Dispatch technology ecosystem building back-end services and APIs in Golang, Ruby, and front-end web/mobile applications in ReactJS and React Native. Our engineers are simultaneously scaling a demanding application while simplifying complex business processes for our users and learning from top engineers like you along the way.
We deeply value our engineering culture. We strongly emphasize trust, mentorship, and collaboration. We care about building the right thing, the right way, and having fun while we do it. Every member of our team has the freedom and responsibility to make Dispatch a great place to work.
AS A TECHNICAL LEAD SOFTWARE ENGINEER YOU WILL:
- Partner with product management to ensure the timely delivery of core features and functionality.
- Design and architect software solutions that creatively enable the product roadmap and operate at scale to empower the business and support a wide variety of use cases, from experimental work to mission-critical production operations.
- Break down roadmap initiatives into technical “build plans” for you and your engineering team to execute.
- Act as an engaging player-coach who mentors their colleagues through technical guidance, white board sessions, and code reviews to ensure that we are building efficient and reusable abstractions with consistent and accessible patterns.
- Define patterns and processes to improve our engineering team and software.
- Work with other team leads and the CTO to define the technical roadmap that supports scaling the business and enabling future strategic product initiatives.
- Take operational ownership of the platform, advocating for best practices to ensure uptime and reliability as well as build tools that make the rest of the team more productive, automating repetitive processes for both speed and accuracy.
- Thrive in a fast-paced, high urgency, start-up culture that has fun doing great things together every day.
SOME SKILLS WE SEEK:
- A hands-on software engineer with 5+ years of experience building high-scale modern web applications as a Full Stack Engineer.
- Experience architecting and leading software development either in a formal or informal capacity.
- Demonstrated ability to mentor and develop software engineers.
- An engineer who has a strong consideration for security and privacy. You’re great at identifying soft spots and helping to address them before they become a serious problem.
- A graduate of a BSc or MSc in Computer Science, preferably. At a minimum, you should have a bachelor’s degree.
- Experienced with TDD/BDD patterns in modern software development.
- Not afraid to share your knowledge and opinions with your colleagues.
- Insatiably curious; you have the ability to learn quickly in a complex space.
- Proactive about solving problems and already thinking 100 steps ahead to make our product better.
- A self-starter who is clever, tireless and dedicated.
- Familiar with and understand the MVP approach. Able to build and test fast, reliable, and scalable products.
WITHIN ONE MONTH, YOU’LL:
- Have completed New Hire Training
- Develop a strong understanding of the Dispatch platform, Dispatch’s unique value, and challenges facing the industry.
- Be working on small team as an experienced mentor and providing your technical experience as input to the team’s design decisions and work plans as well as making individual coding contributions.
- Develop strong working relationships with the engineers and product manager on your team.
- Understand your team’s product roadmap and backlog and product development processes.
- Set up your development environment and be committing code in languages such as Golang, JS, React Native, Python, etc.
WITHIN THREE MONTHS, YOU’LL:
- Become a Dispatch functional product expert.
- Develop strong working relationships with engineers and product managers on other teams as well as people in other departments.
- Collaborating with Architects and Sr Engineers to break down work, architect solutions, and develop build plans and technical approaches to product initiatives.
- Regularly commit high quality code.
- Assist deploying code to our production cloud environment.
- Writing and updating configuration-as-code and infrastructure-as-code scripts (e.g. Terraform) for deploying new services to our infrastructure.
- Provide peer code reviews.
- Provide leadership, experience, insight and guidance in our software development guilds.
- Establish yourself as a strong technical collaborator that team members rely on for guidance.
WITHIN SIX MONTHS, YOU’LL:
- Partner with product management and lead the design and architecture of initiatives.
- Break down of work and develop build plans and technical approaches to product initiatives.
- Lead a technical whiteboard topic (knowledge transfer, design whiteboard, ….) at the weekly engineering meeting.
- Have made significant enhancements to the product and executed on the product and technical roadmaps.
- Strongly influence the technical roadmap priorities that lay the foundation for future growth and scalability.
- Be comfortable working in many of our repositories.
- Ensure we are releasing a high quality product.
WITHIN TWELVE MONTHS, YOU’LL:
- Be an expert on Dispatch’s product and technology.
- Be the go to technical leader for your team’s domains and products. Partner and work cross functionally with other dev teams and departments.
- Continuously think about and work on improvements to our products.
- Lead all technical aspects of your team's work.
- Be a key adviser to the CTO on technical priorities.
- Have deep and broad understanding of Dispatch technology, platform, cloud operations and be hiring, mentoring and training new engineers.
- Be a Dispatch subject matter expert and steward for several repositories and domains of the system.
BENEFITS & PERKS
- Unlimited Paid Time Off (PTO)
- Paid Parental Leave
- Comprehensive Insurance Coverage
- Learning and Development Reimbursement
- DispatchFit Gym/Fitness Program Reimbursement
- Flexible Work-Life Balance
Still with us?
We’re ready to meet you if you wake up every day eager to get your hands dirty in a high growth start-up atmosphere. Is this role not an exact fit for you? Keep an eye on our Careers Page for other positions!
The Dispatch Story
The service industry is changing. More and more, brands are building networks of third-party contractors and technicians to service their customers. Dispatch helps these brands manage and improve these service provider networks, leading to extraordinary customer experiences. Dispatch brings visibility and data intelligence to previously unmeasured service interactions, leading to measurable improvements in margin and revenue.
We are not a software vendor. We are a brand partner – delivering extraordinary value using a synthesis of our platform, people, and partnership approach. Backed by Vista Equity Partners, Dispatch continues to revolutionize the home service experience for brands, service providers, and end customers just like you.
Dispatch is an equal opportunity employer and values diversity at on all of our teams. Inclusiveness is second nature, not an initiative at Dispatch. We are building an engaged team where we celebrate multiple approaches and points of view. We believe diversity drives innovation and empowers everyone to feel valued and heard. We strive to create an environment where everyone, from any background, can bring their whole self to work and do their best.
We're a tech-savvy team with a culture built on curiosity, precision, and forward-thinking that ends up being the foundation of our product. Every employee is nurtured in a way to help them grow both personally and professionally. Come join our growing team!
To all recruitment agencies: Dispatch does not accept agency resumes. Please do not forward resumes to our jobs alias, Dispatch employees or any other organization location. Dispatch is not responsible for any fees related to unsolicited resumes.