Systems Engineer at Community
Community powers direct relationships and one-on-one conversations between Leaders and their Members through text messaging at scale. Launched in 2019 and headquartered in Santa Monica, Calif., Community is breaking new ground in trusted marketing and communications channels by connecting Leaders--global pop culture stars, local community organizers, small business owners and brands--to their Members to drive conversations that convert into actions, sales, revenue and more.
Join us at www.community.com @incommunity
Please Note: East Coast time zone is preferred for this role.
About the Role and Your Impact
At Community we are building an asynchronous messaging platform that integrates with multiple messaging services at global scale. You would be working with a distributed, remote-first team that spans North America and Europe. Your day would be spent building and supporting the AWS-based infrastructure and systems that underpin our product: building and configuring Terraform and Ansible modules, improving on our custom Go-based tooling; working on our Vitess, Cassandra, and Postgres databases; designing and building simple monitoring integrations; designing new systems; pairing with other engineers; and supporting other teams to deliver innovative features on a cutting edge stack.
We’re an early stage company and every team member has the potential to impact the organization for years to come. You should bring new ideas, enthusiasm, and a drive for excellence and your efforts will be rewarded.
We’re growth-oriented, both as a company and as individuals: we take learning seriously and invest in growing our skills and our team’s capabilities. You will have the opportunity to share your expertise and to learn from existing members of our high-performing team: our existing team includes authors from well known publishers, an Elixir core team member, and engineers with decades of experience.
What You’ll Do
- Build and support our AWS-based infrastructure and systems that underpin our product
- Build and configure Terraform and Ansible modules
- Support and expand our existing scheduler-based, containerized deployment infrastructure
- Improve on our custom Go-based tooling; working on our Vitess, Cassandra, and Postgres databases
- Support underlying build infrastructure (teams own their own builds) on AWS and Pivotal Concourse
- Design and build simple monitoring integrations
- Design new systems; pairing with other engineers and supporting other teams to deliver innovative features on a cutting edge stack
What You’ll Bring
- 4+ years of experience in a Systems Engineer role working with AWS and Ansible.
- Robust software development skills to at least the extent of building system automation and monitoring tools
- Docker skills
- Self-motivation and a desire to get the details right
- Production experience, preferably at scale, on systems infrastructure
- A driving interest in testing, intentional design, and building quality systems that last
- Hardworking and collaborative engineers, with a phenomenal team work ethic
- A focus on actively building and being part of a great, diverse engineering culture
Community is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. We commit ourselves to inclusivity across race, gender identity, sexual orientation, religion, body size, disability, age, and class - in everything we do.