Systems Engineer at Motorola Solutions
At Motorola Solutions, we believe that everything starts with safety. It’s the constant that empowers people to confidently move forward. It can fill a flight or sell out a stadium. It can care for a patient or graduate a class.
As a global leader in public safety and enterprise security, we create and connect the technologies that help to keep people safe where they live, learn, work and play. Our integrated technology ecosystem unifies critical communications, video security and access control, and command center software, enabling collaboration in more powerful ways.
At Motorola Solutions, we’re ushering in a new era in public safety and security. Bring your passion, potential and talents to a career that matters.
Department OverviewThis opening is in Motorola Solutions’ Northeast (T3N- Pennsylvania) Post Sale Engineering Department. The group's main business is the implementation of mission critical digital mobile communication systems for Government & Public Safety Communications customers. Our team is a group with experts focused on System Design who work with experts in all of Motorola’s Disciplines.
NOTE: Preference is for candidate to reside in Pennsylvania.
Develops, designs, evaluates, and/or modifies systems consistent with customer and regulatory requirements. Develops system architecture, and ensures the integrity of the architecture/design. Systems Engineers handle the planning of hardware & software to make sure everything functions properly given the various customer requirements and configurations. Some amount of hands-on troubleshooting and configuration of equipment is also necessary, periodically.
- Perform the Engineer of Record role on small to mid-sized projects.
- Engineer multi-faceted projects requiring a wide range of technical skills including, but not limited to: coverage and capacity design, microwave system analysis, RF LMR system and BDA design, WAN network design, and knowledge of Motorola ASTRO systems.
- Conduct frequent and detailed interactions with customers and consultants to facilitate design reviews, system staging and acceptance testing events, coverage acceptance testing, live system upgrades, and troubleshooting efforts.
- Exhibit professionalism through written and oral communications .
- Exhibit a high level of commitment and accountability to project and customer demands, as well as ownership of technical solutions, problem solving and project timelines.
- Work closely with Project Management teams, Engineering teams, Technicians, and the customer to ensure successful project execution.
- Recognize the need to engage colleagues and/or specialists for assistance with difficult or new tasks.
- Learn continuously via company training programs/materials and independent personal development.
Desired Knowledge of:
- Basic RF Principles (Two-way radio operation, system components, terminology).
- Basic IP Networking Principles (LAN/WAN topologies, system components, terminology).
- Wireless systems involving FDMA and TDMA technologies.
- P25 Land Mobile Radio terminology and two-way subscriber radio provisioning/programming methods.
- P25 Interoperability solutions such as ISSI and Motorola WAVE, Critical Connect, and SmartConnect.
- Computer Aided Dispatch and Public Safety related software applications.
- Communications and low voltage wiring methods and practices.
Desired Experience with
- Wireless and wireline communications systems.
- RFDS principles to include Antenna and Cable selection, Transmitter Combiners, Receiver Multi-couplers and Lightning protection systems.
- AC and DC Power Systems to include generators, UPS, distribution (conductors, fusing, circuit breakers), rectifier and battery plants, surge protection.
- Servers and Related computer systems to include: VMware ESXI, Linux, and Microsoft operating systems.
- Construction of Communication Facilities to include: Site selection, grounding, compound/property development, tower and equipment shelter requirements.
- Fortinet firewall appliances, Nokia 7705 series routers, Juniper SRX/MX (Junos) series routers, HP/HPE/Arbua Network switches, various other IP and telecommunication equipment.
- Remote system access using VPNs, SSH, SCP, SFTP, RDP, etc.
- Remote system work and troubleshooting, observing proper security access protocols.
- Create design documents and drawings to provide information to project teams about system construction and configuration (Familiarity with Microsoft, Google, etc. office productivity/drawing software tool packages).
- Exhibit excellent troubleshooting, critical thinking, and analytical skills with the ability to seek out other internal company expertise when needed.
- Work remotely, primarily from a home office, with no local supervision. Take initiative, lead customer-facing meetings, collaborate with contractors and vendors to drive results, and change priorities with little notice.
- Work on multiple, concurrent projects and balance priorities.
- Exhibit excellent communications and technical writing skills with the ability to summarize complex technical concepts clearly, and present to both technical and non-technical team members.
- Learn to use company-supplied software systems and tools to implement, configure, and test IP network-based systems.
- Learn to use company-supplied software systems and tools to model and test radio coverage.
- Learn to use company-supplied software systems and tools to assist engineers and technicians with setup and troubleshooting of RF components and systems.
- Learn to configure, and troubleshoot applications and operating systems on IP network devices, servers, or on virtualization platforms.
- Learn to debug new software installations, review log files, and work with development engineers to resolve issues.
- Learn to configure network devices from scripts or manual CLI and verify correct operation from CLI show commands.
Desired Certifications, Some or All:
- GROL (General Radiotelephone Operator License), Amateur Radio Operator License, or equivalent experience.
- COMPTIA A+, Network +, Security +.
**Must be able to obtain background clearance as required by government customer**
NOTE: Preference is for candidate to reside in Pennsylvania.
● Bachelor's Degree in an engineering discipline or similar with 3+ years of engineering or technical experience
● OR 5 + years of engineering or technical experience
Referral Payment PlanYes
Our U.S. Benefits include:
- Incentive Bonus Plans
- Medical, Dental, Vision benefits
- 401K with Company Match
- 9 Paid Holidays
- Generous Paid Time Off Packages
- Employee Stock Purchase Plan
- Paid Parental & Family Leave
- and more!
Motorola Solutions is an Equal Opportunity Employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, veteran's status, or, any other protected characteristic.