Who we are:
Argo AI is a global self-driving products and services company on a mission to make the world’s streets and roadways safe, accessible, and useful for all. Our technology is built to enable commercial services for autonomous delivery and ridesharing in cities.
With experienced leaders in the field and collaborative partnerships with some of the world’s top consumer brands, we’re working block by block, city by city to empower people and businesses to be more successful. We’re individuals driven by strong values to solve complex problems together. Come join us to reimagine the human journey.
Meet the team:
We are building a high-performance team that is excited by complex engineering challenges and is passionate about making transportation safer, more affordable and accessible for all. This position is on a sub-team of the Autonomy Systems and Safety team that is responsible for all of the autonomy functions as well as the overall behaviors and performance of the complete autonomous vehicle. This team is responsible for defining the self driving system functional architecture, system analyses, requirements, and verification plans. The team also supports development of the overall safety case, FuSa (functional safety) requirements and verification, and SOTIF analyses (safety of the intended function).
We are looking for the right individual to support our efforts in core autonomy systems engineering. This role provides technical leadership on the team responsible for defining the systems analyses, architecture, requirements and metrics to satisfy performance and safety criteria. This includes a candidate with knowledge of Autonomous Vehicle Sensing and Perception Systems.
There is no textbook, existing or accepted standard practice for how to prove the safety of an Autonomous Vehicle’s Perception System. Our team is breaking new ground on the best approach for requirements, metrics, verification and test campaigns for AV perception systems objects, road actors, traffic lights and occlusions. Charting a new course on this topic will have an immense influence on Argo AI and the AV industry as a whole.
Successful candidates will be able to step back and see the big picture of the autonomous vehicle system while also having the technical depth to be able to dive deep and review details within the safety architecture. Additionally, this individual will have strong leadership abilities and communication skills to gather consensus amongst the relevant stakeholders across the company and communicate findings and recommendations to the executive team in order to drive key, high impact decisions within Argo AI’s fast-paced autonomous vehicle program.
What you’ll do:
- Provide technical leadership on the development of the sensing and perception systems through functional requirements and verification planning.
- Derive and define appropriate perception requirements, leveraging best practices from a variety of fields.
- Defining metrics and KPI’s for the perception system that can accelerate the testing of the long tails of open world robotics perception.
- Plan and execute statistically significant dataset collections to support the safety case and argumentation. Develop and define detailed track tests to exacerbate confounding factors to the hardware and software systems.
- Rapid prototype tools for analyzing the real world environment for perception limiting cases (e.g. traffic light placement, hills and valleys, relevant actors) and applying it to large datasets at scale.
- Provide technical leadership on their assigned portion of the safety case regarding Product Safety
- Perform systems & safety analysis, rapid prototyping and trade studies, including heavy focus on Sensing and Perception. This includes use case analysis, scenario analysis, vehicle platform integration, safety & performance metrics, communication bus interfaces, and more.
- Use a systems-level, data-driven approach to drive decision making.
- “Figure it out” mentality when dealing with complex & ambiguous problems to solve
- Communicate effectively to make recommendations and drive consensus amongst all stakeholders (executive team, product, customer, engineering, test).
What we’re looking for:
- BS or MS Degree in Robotics, Electrical Engineering, Computer Engineering, or a related field.
- 5+ years experience in Autonomy Systems and Safety Critical Development
- 5+ years experience in sensing and perception, for robotics, autonomous vehicles, aerospace, automotive, or related mission critical fields.
- Broad technical domain knowledge of autonomous vehicles or similar autonomous robotic systems.
- Familiarity with autonomy systems, preferably autonomous driving including core functions such as Sensing, Perception, Localization, etc.
- Familiarity with Key Performance Indicators and Metrics, particularly regarding machine learning perception systems as applied to open world problems
- Experience in seeing the full life cycle of a product from concept to validation to delivery and operation.
- Knowledge of modern systems engineering techniques, tools and processes.
- Ability to create rapid prototyping tools in Python and C++.
- Strong communication skills and leadership abilities to work with cross-functional engineering teams and drive towards decisions.
What we offer you:
- High-quality individual and family medical, dental, and vision insurance
- Competitive compensation packages
- Employer-matched 401(k) retirement plan with immediate vesting
- Employer-paid group term life insurance and the option to elect voluntary life insurance
- Paid parental leave
- Adoption & Surrogacy Assistance Program
- Paid medical leave
- 30 day paid sabbatical upon 5 years of employment
- Unlimited vacation
- Complimentary daily lunches, beverages, and snacks
- Pre-tax commuter benefits
- Monthly wellness stipend
- Professional development reimbursement
- Employee assistance program
- Discounted programs that include legal services, identity theft protection, pet insurance, and more
- Company and team bonding outlets: employee resource groups, quarterly team activity stipend, and wellness initiatives
Argo AI was founded in late 2016 by industry experts with extensive experience building robotic systems for commercial applications. Our once-small team has since grown into an over 1,000-person strong company with strategic partnerships with two of the world’s leading automakers: Ford and Volkswagen. Our self-driving system is the first with commercial deployment plans for Europe and the U.S., and thanks to an ability to tap into both automakers’ global reach, our technology platform has the largest geographic deployment potential of any self-driving technology to date.
At Argo AI, we believe that embracing differences delivers superior results. We are an equal opportunity employer that is committed to an inclusive environment for all employees.