System of Systems Engineering Office Associate Director at The Aerospace Corporation (Washington DC)
At Aerospace, we are committed to providing an inclusive and diverse workplace for all employees to share in our common passion and aspiration - to carry out a mission much bigger than ourselves.
The System of Systems Engineering (SOSE) Office is a fast-paced, multi-disciplinary systems engineering organization that works closely with corporate program offices that support customers across the nation's space enterprise. The office provides architecture and portfolio analysis capabilities to support our customers' most challenging acquisition, portfolio, enterprise, and cross-system architectural decisions. Members of the SOSE office integrate expertise, system analysis and design capabilities from across the corporation. The SOSE Office Associate Director will be directly responsible for managing the team at the Chantilly location, and will provide customer interface and to create and execute new business development strategies with those customers. The Associate Director will also coordinate extensively with the key technical leaders in the Architecture and Design Subdivision (ADS).
- Contribute to the vision and direction for the overall SOSE Office organization to execute and enhance corporate capabilities that inform and support our customers' high-level architecture, systems-of-systems, and enterprise decisions
- Regularly integrate both project leadership and support from ADS senior experts into SOSE Office activities
- Sustain a portfolio of projects and studies with staffing needs that exceed the assigned staff of the SOSE Office, supplementing the Office capabilities with diverse analysis capabilities and expertise from across the corporation
- Identify and support new business activities and participate in task planning and management at both the SOSE Office and ADS levels
- Recruit, train, mentor, and manage personnel to support both the development of SOSE Office capabilities and potential program office staffing transfers
- Collaborate as part of the ADS management team to refine the subdivision's vision and direction, develop capabilities, collaborate on other departments' technical analysis activities, oversee the continued development of subdivision resources, create new business development strategies, and review and coordinate the other ADS functions
- Some domestic travel required
- Advanced degree in engineering or equivalent
- Substantial experience and maturity in engineering and project management (typically 12+ years for the Associate Director position)
- Awareness of SOSE and Enterprise Systems Engineering/Architecting technical disciplines and practices
- Experience managing projects across a range of classification levels
- Demonstrated leadership of multidisciplinary teams involving system design, acquisition and/or operations in one or more of the following areas: space systems, ground systems, launch systems, or operations
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills, including a demonstrated ability to develop and maintain effective working relationships
- Proven ability to work in a fast-paced environment, adapt quickly to change, help customers manage ambiguity, and demonstrate initiative under pressure
- Must have a current TS/SCI clearance with willingness to pass a Counter Intelligence Polygraph
- Strong connections with the customer organizations resident in the National Capital Region, particularly with elements of the Intelligence Community
- A demonstrated track record of prior engineering personnel management experience
- A proven ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with all levels of contractors, customers, and corporate staff
- Experience leading or managing a geographically distributed team, including remote employees
- Prior experience with portfolio management tools and processes
- A recognized reputation for expanding the knowledge and/or application of systems-of-systems engineering and architecting discipline, literature, tools, and processes
- Prior experience with related Aerospace architecting and design capabilities (CDC, PDST, MBSE, Digital Engineering; various performance, cost, and/or risk analysis tools, etc.)
Ways We Reward Our Employees
During your interview process, our team will provide details of our industry-leading benefits.
Benefits vary and are applicable based on Job Type. A few highlights include:
- Comprehensive health care and wellness plans
- Paid holidays, sick time, and vacation
- Standard and alternate work schedules, including telework options
- 401(k) Plan - Employees receive a total company-paid benefit of 8%, 10%, or 12% of eligible compensation based on years of service and matching contributions; employees are immediately eligible and vested in the plan upon hire
- Flexible spending accounts
- Variable pay program for exceptional contributions
- Relocation assistance
- Professional growth and development programs to help advance your career
- Education assistance programs
- An inclusive work environment built on teamwork, flexibility, and respect
We are all unique, from diverse backgrounds and all walks of life, yet one thing bonds all of us to each other-the belief that we can make a difference. This core belief empowers us to do our best work at The Aerospace Corporation.
Equal Opportunity Commitment
The Aerospace Corporation is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. We believe that a diverse workforce creates an environment in which unique ideas are developed and differing perspectives are valued, producing superior customer solutions. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment and will not be discriminated against on the basis of race, age, sex (including pregnancy, childbirth, and related medical conditions), sexual orientation, gender, gender identity or expression, color, religion, genetic information, marital status, ancestry, national origin, protected veteran status, physical disability, medical condition, mental disability, or disability status and any other characteristic protected by state or federal law. If you're an individual with a disability or a disabled veteran who needs assistance using our online job search and application tools or need reasonable accommodation to complete the job application process, please contact us by phone at 310.336.5432 or by email at [email protected] You can also review Know Your Rights: Workplace Discrimination is Illegal, as well as the Pay Transparency Policy Statement.