Strain Engineering, Sr Scientist at AbSci (Portland, OR)
Absci is the drug and target discovery company harnessing deep learning and synthetic biology to expand the therapeutic potential of proteins. We built our Integrated Drug Creation™ Platform to identify novel drug targets, discover optimal biotherapeutic candidates, and generate the cell lines to manufacture them in a single efficient process. Our goal is to enable the development of better medicines. We Translate Ideas into Drugs™. Based in Vancouver, Washington, ten minutes from Portland, Oregon, we’re located within an hour of world class alpine terrain and rugged Pacific coastlines. Check out this short video to learn more and see how our #Unlimiters are changing the world one protein at a time: absci.com/joinus
This position reports to Absci's Group Leader of Strain Construction and will leverage synthetic biology to drive further development and utilization of Absci’s proprietary E. coli expression platform. In this role, you are motivated by successfully implementing cutting-edge molecular biology techniques to perform gene cloning, library construction, and genome engineering. You are passionate about science, creative problem-solving, have strong communication skills, and can execute nimbly and efficiently in a dynamic startup environment.
Primary responsibilities will include:
- DNA construct design and strain engineering in support of Absci’s technology using modern cloning techniques such as Golden Gate Assembly, Gibson Assembly etc.
- Build plasmid DNA libraries with high diversity created through multiple steps.
- E. coli strain engineering at the genome level and innovation with different approaches and techniques like Lambda Red, CRISPR etc.
- Day-to-day work includes DNA sequence and data analysis, plasmid map construction, and contribution to our company wide-data ecosystem through deposition of data to in-house databases (LIMS) and maintaining laboratory notebooks.
- Bring forth and carry out new ideas to improve recombinant protein expression, solve scientific problems and/or present new project ideas to further improve Absci technology.
Skills and Qualifications:
- Typically a PhD in synthetic biology, molecular biology, microbiology, or a related scientific discipline and at least 5-10 years of industry-related experience. We are open to Masters or Bachelors Degrees with equivalent experience.
- Proficient in modern molecular biology techniques including DNA construct design, PCR, molecular cloning, plasmid extraction, and DNA sequencing.
- Extensive practical experience with multiple DNA cloning and editing methods such as Gibson and Golden Gate assemblies, CRISPR, etc.
- Experience with high-throughput workflows, laboratory automation and complex data sets.
- Prior experience designing, constructing, and screening high-diversity DNA libraries.
- Experience with recombinant protein expression, doing this in prokaryotes is a plus.
- NGS data analysis/bioinformatics experience is a plus but not required.
- Proficient in using software packages such as Geneious, CLC Genomics Workbench, Vector-NTI, etc. to design DNA constructs and to analyze sequencing data (Sanger and NGS).
We seek candidates who will dive into our creative company culture that’s collaborative, multidisciplinary, and committed to a big vision for positive impact. We are defying conventions and innovating without boundaries. We are disrupting an industry with bold ideas and passionate pursuit of new possibilities. We are looking for original thinkers, creative scientists, and data-devoted gurus. Successful candidates will be excited to work in a dynamic environment and contribute as a key member of a project team. If this sounds good to you, we invite you to join us in our quest to redefine possible.
Absci offers highly competitive salaries and benefits, including medical and dental insurance, paid time off, breakfast and lunch, and 401(k) with a generous company match. Legal authorization to work in the U.S. is required. Absci is committed to equal employment opportunity and non-discrimination for all employees and qualified applicants without regard to a person's race, color, gender, age, religion, national origin, ancestry, disability, veteran status, genetic information, sexual orientation or any characteristic protected under applicable law. Absci will make reasonable accommodations for qualified individuals with known disabilities, in accordance with applicable law. Absci offers a dog-friendly work environment - bring your pup along for the ride.