We’re Coinbase. We’re the world’s most trusted way to join the crypto revolution, serving more than 89 million accounts in more than 100 countries.
Our mission is to increase economic freedom around the world, and we couldn’t do this without hiring the best people. We’re a group of hard-working overachievers who are deeply focused on building the future of finance and Web 3.0 for our users across the globe, whether they’re trading, storing, staking or using crypto. Know those people who always lead the group project? That’s us.
There are a few things we look for across all hires we make at Coinbase, regardless of role or team. First, we look for candidates who will thrive in a culture like ours, where we default to trust, embrace feedback, and disrupt ourselves. Second, we expect all employees to commit to our mission-focused approach to our work. Finally, we seek people who are excited to learn about and live crypto, because those are the folks who enjoy the intense moments in our sprint and recharge work culture. We’re a remote-first company looking to hire the absolute best talent all over the world.
Ready to #LiveCrypto? Who you are:
- You’ve got positive energy. You’re optimistic about the future and determined to get there.
- You’re never tired of learning. You want to be a pro in bleeding edge tech like DeFi, NFTs, DAOs, and Web 3.0.
- You appreciate direct communication. You’re both an active communicator and an eager listener - because let’s face it, you can’t have one without the other. You’re cool with candid feedback and see every setback as an opportunity to grow.
- You can pivot on the fly. Crypto is constantly evolving, so our priorities do, too. What you worked on last month may not be what you work on today, and that excites you. You’re not looking for a boring job.
- You have a “can do” attitude. Our teams create high-quality work on quick timelines. Owning a problem doesn’t scare you, but rather empowers you to take 100% responsibility for achieving our mission.
- You want to be part of a winning team. We’re stronger together, and you’re a person who embraces being pushed out of your comfort zone.
We’re looking for Staff Software Engineers to balance the role of an individual contributor while also anchoring new projects, leading technical direction and mentoring other engineers on the team. We highly value individuals with intellectual curiosity and openness. We collaborate across the organization, helping our engineers think big and take risks while building a culture of diversity, positive energy and blameless truth-seeking. Our engineering team leverages a diverse tech stack and our focus is finding smart engineers who’ve worked on complex projects and we have all the trust you’d be able to pick up whatever tech necessary in the stack.
We have openings across a variety of backend teams. Here are a few examples:
Exchange: The Exchange team builds and operates the core systems that process and match orders across all of Coinbase (Consumer & Pro). These systems are almost always on the hot path for users so we are constantly working to improve our systems to reduce latency and jitter while maximizing throughput.
Backend Platform: The Backend Platform team is focused on building robust architectural foundations, toolsets and a culture for all of Coinbase engineering to build high quality, secure & reliable products.
Users: The Users team builds and operates user services such as identity verification, authentication and authorization. You’ll be working with OAuth that powers our mobile clients and third party developers, monrails that power 2FA authentication logic & our institution identity management service.
Institutional: The Institutional team builds and operates state of the art execution and storage systems that allow our customer to trade and store millions of dollars of cryptocurrency on any given day.
Crypto: The Crypto team builds and maintains the shared infrastructure to make Blockchains and Crypto assets available for products. You’ll work on engineering problems in cryptography, security, blockchain technology and distributed systems, with a focus on enabling Crypto investing and growing the Cryptoeconomy.
What you’ll be doing:
- Architect and develop distributed systems
- Provide technical structure to teams and work closely with management and stakeholders to define strategic roadmaps
- Manage individual projects priorities, deadlines and deliverables with your technical expertise
- Mentor and train other team members on design techniques and coding standards
- Design and implement foundational infrastructure components used by every engineering team in production (e.g. dynamic configuration, secrets storage, container orchestration, etc)
- Write high quality, well tested code to meet the needs of your customers
What we look for in you:
- 8+ years of experience in software engineering
- You’ve experienced architecting and developing solutions to ambiguous problems with significant impact
- You’re passionate about building an open financial system that brings the world together
- Must be able to read, write and speak in English
Nice to haves:
- You have gone through a rapid growth in your company (from 10 to 100s of engineers)
- You have experience with Blockchains (such as Bitcoin, Ethereum etc.)
- You have experience decomposing a large monolith into microservices
- You’ve worked with Golang, Ruby, Docker, Sinatra, Rails, Postgres
- You’ve built financial, high reliability or security systems
Coinbase is committed to diversity in its workforce and is proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, creed, gender, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, sex, gender expression or identity, sexual orientation or any other basis protected by applicable law. Coinbase will also consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories in a manner consistent with applicable federal, state and local law. For US applicants, you may view Pay Transparency, Employee Rights and Equal Employment Opportunity is the Law notices by clicking on their corresponding links. Additionally, Coinbase participates in the E-Verify program in certain locations, as required by law.
Coinbase is also committed to providing reasonable accommodations to individuals with disabilities. If you need a reasonable accommodation because of a disability for any part of the employment process, please send an e-mail to accommodations[at]coinbase.com and let us know the nature of your request and your contact information. For quick access to screen reading technology compatible with this site click here to download a free compatible screen reader (free step by step tutorial can be found here).Global Data Privacy Notice for Job Candidates and Applicants
Depending on your location, the General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR) and California Consumer Privacy Act (CCPA) may regulate the way we manage the data of job applicants. Our full notice outlining how data will be processed as part of the application procedure for applicable locations is available here. By submitting your application, you are agreeing to our use and processing of your data as required.