Staff Software Engineer at Domino Data Lab (Remote)
Who We Are
At Domino Data Lab, we have an ambitious vision for data science. Our platform helps data science teams accelerate research, increase collaboration, and rapidly deploy predictive models. Our customers are the most sophisticated analytical organizations in the world, including companies like Bristol Myers Squibb, Allstate, Bayer, and Red Hat. Backed by Sequoia Capital, Coatue Management, Bloomberg Beta, and Zetta Venture Partners, we are at the epicenter of the data science revolution, helping companies develop the next breakthrough in medicine, build better cars, or recommend the best song play next.
What we are building
The Product Engineering organization at Domino is developing the core features of our Domino platform that enables Data Scientists and Data Scientist Leaders to accelerate the lifecycle of machine learning model development. Each team within the organization focuses on a key problem area of the data science lifecycle to ensure our users can have a seamless experience. We are developing and training models all the way through to publishing and hosting them in production. Our software engineers are building the core user-facing features that allow data science teams (our customers) to improve the speed, quality and impact of their models at scale.
We have a monolithic application written in Scala and React that is deployed via Kubernetes, with MongoDB, and RabbitMQ for database and queueing. Our software is deployed on any cloud or on prem. We integrate with many 3rd party apps, and create a seamless experience that allows data scientists the ability to focus on the data not on the infrastructure, security, auditing, or deployment of their models.
What your impact will be
As a Staff Software Engineer at Domino you will guide architectural and engineering direction and empower engineers to solve our most technical challenges. While you’ll spend half of your time writing code, you’ll spend another quarter of your time working alongside product managers to drive the technical direction and architectural decisions needed to build and scale our product. The balance of your time is as a coach, guiding and developing engineers by setting strong examples, reviewing their code and helping develop their skills.
- Craft durable, well-tested code with an unwavering commitment to product quality
- Build products, systems, and services that have immediate impact on our customers
- Partner closely with product managers, designers, and engineers to define your team’s vision and roadmap by thoroughly understanding your customers’ needs
- Coach and develop engineers, cultivating pragmatic engineering decision-making, and leveraging your technical expertise to constantly raise the bar
- Lead and participate in critical technical, design, and product discussions with leaders across the organization and company
What We Look For in This Role
- BS in Computer Science or a related technical field
- 8+ years of backend programming experience in Scala or Java
- Experience building scalable distributed systems around event driven architecture
- Experience building and maintaining containerized applications in Kubernetes or Docker
- Experience with Cloud Native and Cloud Service Providers (AWS, GCP or Azure)
- Knowledge of databases, RDBMS and NoSQL (MongoDB, Cassandra, DynamoDb, Redis)
- Ability to communicate software architecture and design best practices
What We Value
- We value a growth mindset. High-performing creative individuals who dig into problems and see the opportunities for success
- We believe in individuals who seek truth and speak the truth and can be their whole selves at work.
- We value all of you that believe improving is always possible At Domino Everything is a work in progress – we can do better at everything.
- We emphasize an environment of teaching and learning to equip employees with the tools needed to be successful in their function and the company.
- We strongly believe in the value of growing a diverse team and encourage people of all backgrounds, genders, ethnicities, abilities, and sexual orientations to apply.