We're transforming the grocery industry
Instacart is the North American leader in online grocery and one of the fastest-growing companies in e-commerce. Since 2012, we’ve been working towards creating a world where everyone has access to the food they love and more time to enjoy it together.
Groceries delivered to your door in as little as an hour. It seems simple, right? Well, it’s more complex than that. From re-routing deliveries during snowstorms, to connecting customers with coupons and deals for their favorite brands, to updating over half a billion grocery data lines every night...our efforts bring Instacart closer to being the operating system for the grocery industry.
ABOUT THE ROLE
We are investing heavily in the next-generation of our services. At our velocity and volume-level we need the ability to deploy new products and features faster and better. That’s our choice for the traditional 3-dimensional engineering trade-off decision. Come help to build the best new user experience anywhere. We are creating new architectural designs and new services that couple best-in-class engineering with highly-informed business knowledge.
ABOUT THE TEAM
Instacart has a four sided marketplace, and we have roles open within each of our Engineering orgs. In our interview process we will evaluate how your skills would fit within one of these teams, and match you with the role(s) that are best related to your interests and abilities.
ABOUT THE JOB
- We work in small teams with significant ownership and autonomy over your project
- You’ll be working across teams, solving big problems at an organizational level that changes how Instacart operates
- Design, implement, and ship high quality features with a strong sense of urgency and accountability
- Work closely with product managers, designers, data scientists, and peer engineering teams to define project requirements and execution plans
- Ensure that system designs including APIs, deployment architecture, and dependency selection result in highly scalable, robust solutions that minimize support costs and improve an outstanding customer experience
- Contribute broadly to Instacart’s success by exercising your freedom to suggest and drive organization-wide initiatives
- 10+ years of software development experience
- A strong sense of ownership
- Self-motivation and an enjoyment for a startup environment
- Solid understanding of common back-end Web technologies in a production environment
- An ability to balance priorities with shipping high quality and pragmatic solutions
- Experience working with a large codebase shared with multi-functional teams.
- Strong knowledge of SQL
- Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science, computer engineering, electrical engineering or equivalent work experience
- Do you have exceptional experience with, skills for, or just interest in any of the following software engineering areas?
- We are looking for someone who has a good mix of the following traits:
- Experiment frameworks and data driven approach to development
- Authentication: SSO integration, flow optimization, security and more
- SEO: Top of the funnel optimization, Log analysis, Crawl Optimization and more
- Instacart's technology is constantly evolving and adapting. Some of the technologies you would use in our teams at Instacart include:
- Ruby on Rails framework using Sorbet for strong-typing
- Client-facing flexible APIs exposed via GraphQL
- Postgres and Snowflake backend relational data stores
- Async durable event handling infrastructure including async RPC via AWS SNS/SQS, RabbitMQ
- Caching and durable job dispatching using Memcached and Redis
- Auto-scaling elastic service deployments built on AWS ECS, ALBs, and supporting cloud services
- Rich monitoring and alerting infrastructure built on AWS Cloud Watch, DataDog, Sentry, OpsGenie and supporting services
- Any new integrations you will research, propose, implement, and deploy!
Accommodations & Accessibility
At Instacart, we strive to create an accessible and inclusive experience for all candidates. If you need assistance submitting an application through our career site due to a disability, please submit an Accommodations Request Form and someone from our team will reach out soon to see how we may be able to assist.