Self Service is a new, fast moving team responsible for evolving existing self-service flows to be more effective and introducing novel new flows. This team holds a dual mandate, building a delightful consumer experience that empowers our customers to handle account management functions on their own, while driving improved unit economics for the business. Think of this as a growth hacking team, where the goals are to drive self-service rate & improve unit economics, all while driving long term retention and thus strengthening Affirm's network.
We are seeking a highly motivated Staff engineer to join the Self Service team and help fulfill our vision to deliver innovative features that provide new levels of accessibility to our users while building in a scalable, sustainable way.
What You'll Do
- Work with product and engineering managers to identify and plan projects based on the team goals and resources.
- Consistently generate simple and sophisticated designs, and write high-quality code that can be easily understood and used by others.
- Build relationships with people across engineering and other organizations for the design, implementation, roll-out and maintenance of projects.
- Drive detailed project definition, design, cross-functional alignment, estimation, in addition to task break-down, delivery, monitoring, and maintenance.
- Serve as a technical resource and engineering mentor for other engineers both inside and outside the immediate team.
- Foster a respectful and supportive environment that embraces the diversity of the team.
What we look for
- 7-10 years of experience as a software engineer with leadership responsibilities and experience mentoring senior engineers.
- Prior experience in architecting, building, launching and maintaining complex systems.
- Experience building thoughtfully designed, highly performant HTTP & RPC interfaces and intuitive user interfaces
- Product-centric thinking -- we care just as much about the product experience - ours, our stakeholders', and our company's - as we do the design of our engineering systems.
- Experience with Python3, Java/Kotlin, and React/Redux.
- You are not dogmatic, and believe in solving problems with the right tool for the job, and are comfortable jumping across the stack.
- Experience providing reviews on teammates code and designs, providing constructive feedback to meet a high bar of quality and help others grow.
- Well-developed interpersonal, written and verbal communication.
- Humility and self-awareness to understand opportunities to learn and grow. Ambiguity is where you thrive.
Location - Remote U.S.
Grade - USA 31
Affirm is proud to be a remote-first company ! The majority of our roles are remote and can be located anywhere in the U.S. and Canada (with the exception of the U.S. Territories, Quebec, Yukon, Nunavut, and the Northwest Territories) unless the job indicates a different global location. We are currently building operations in Spain, Poland, and Australia. Employees in remote roles have the option of working remotely or from an Affirm office in their country of hire, and may occasionally travel to an Affirm office or elsewhere for required meetings or team-building events. Our offices in Chicago, New York, Pittsburgh, Salt Lake City, San Francisco and Toronto will remain operational and accessible for anyone to use on a voluntary basis, subject to local COVID-19 guidelines.
All full-time jobs at Affirm (excluding interns and apprentices) are tied to a transparent grade-based pay range taking location into account.
[Colorado Candidates] In accordance with Colorado's Equal Pay for Equal Work Act , the grade for this position in Colorado is listed above. You can find the Colorado base pay range and benefits here .
If you got this far, we hope you're feeling excited about this role. Even if you don't feel you meet every single requirement, we still encourage you to apply. We're eager to meet people who believe in Affirm's mission and can contribute to our team in a variety of ways-not just candidates who check all the boxes.
At Affirm, People Come First is one of our core values, and that's why diversity and inclusion are vital to our priorities as an equal opportunity employer. You can read about our D&I program here and our progress thus far in our 2021 DEI Report .
We also believe It's On Us to provide an inclusive interview experience for all, including people with disabilities. We are happy to provide reasonable accommodations to candidates in need of individualized support during the hiring process.