Staff Software Engineer - Observability at Uber
About the Role
Staff Engineers at Uber are expected to have a deep impact on a wide variety of technology decisions, spanning many projects across an entire org, and in many cases multiple orgs. They are passionate and pragmatic technologists who are able to design scalable systems while delivering efficient code.
As a Staff Engineer on the Observability team, you'll provide technical leadership in building the next generation of Observability platforms so we can deliver reliability as a product feature for every engineer at Uber. Our platforms are used by every engineer at Uber to develop, scale, understand and monitor their systems in an environment with over 4000 microservices, hundreds of thousands of CPU cores in multiple DCs and the cloud, and hundreds of thousands of concurrent trips around the world.
This is a unique opportunity for a seasoned engineer and strong collaborator who can work with talented people in infrastructure, site reliability engineering, product, and engineering to help build our next-generation observability experience products and move the needle on improving production debugging at Uber.
Observability suite at Uber includes M3, our open-source distributed metrics stack, Jaeger, our open source enterprise tracing system, Sawmill, our new log analysis platform, that ingests millions of log events per second, our dashboarding and visualization tools, which display context-sensitive information from across the Uber ecosystem, uMonitor - Uber's alert configuration and execution engine that provides real-time alerting for Uber services and our deeply integrated On-Call Experience suite of tools.
What You'll Do
- Develop an excellent understanding of Uber's business strategy and goals, and the Infra org's product and design goals. You will be one of our key leaders expected to identify and solve our highest impact, highly complex problems.
- Take ownership of a vaguely defined business problem and drive alignment on how to tackle and deliver highly leverageable solutions at the group and organization levels.
- Provide technical leadership in architecting and building mission-critical distributed systems.
- See the big picture and identify inefficiencies and opportunities for meaningful improvements across Observability and Uber as a whole. Drive alignment on how to tackle these and lead the delivery of high leverage solutions for them to have the widest impact.
- Raise the bar to make Uber engineering truly best-in-class by improving best practices, producing exemplary code, documentation, automated tests and thorough and precise monitoring.
- Staff level engineers at Uber are exceptional mentors. They are trusted advisors for both team members and leaders alike.
- 10+ years of experience in building large scale distributed systems in a high caliber environment.
- You have a proven record of building and productionizing highly reliable infrastructure at scale.
- Experience in programming languages such as Java,Go, Scala, or Python (bonus points for more than one).
- Proficiency with databases.
- Proficiency in Linux.
- Ability to assess new technologies and make pragmatic choices that help guide us towards a long-term vision.
- Aptitude to independently learn new technologies.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills, including the ability to write detailed technical design documents.
- Customer obsessed and have a product mindset.
- BS or MS in Computer Science or a related technical discipline, or equivalent experience
At Uber, we ignite opportunity by setting the world in motion. We take on big problems to help drivers, riders, delivery partners, and eaters get moving in more than 10,000 cities around the world.
We welcome people from all backgrounds who seek the opportunity to help build a future where everyone and everything can move independently. If you have the curiosity, passion, and collaborative spirit, work with us, and let's move the world forward, together.
Uber is proud to be an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, race, color, religion, national origin, disability, protected Veteran status, age, or any other characteristic protected by law. We also consider qualified applicants regardless of criminal histories, consistent with legal requirements. If you have a disability or special need that requires accommodation, please let us know by completing this form.