Staff, Software Engineer - Messaging at Twilio (Remote)
Join the team as our next Staff Software Development EngineerWho we are & why we’re hiring
Twilio powers real-time business communications and data solutions that help companies and developers worldwide build better applications and customer experiences.
Although we're headquartered in San Francisco, we have presence throughout South America, Europe, Asia and Australia. We're on a journey to becoming a globally anti-racist, anti-oppressive, anti-bias company that actively opposes racism and all forms of oppression and bias. At Twilio, we support diversity, equity & inclusion wherever we do business. We employ thousands of Twilions worldwide, and we're looking for more builders, creators, and visionaries to help fuel our growth momentum.About the job
This position is needed to be the staff software engineer, designing and implementing services in the Twilio’s Supply Engineering organization.
This person will join a team that builds the supply platform that will power Twilio’s messaging traffic delivery. We process many billions of messages per month, requiring high scalability and fault tolerance from our services. Many other teams rely on integrating their services with the Supply Engineering services to deliver their features to customers. The position is especially critical in supporting Twilio’s International expansion and will be creating a core platform that provides leverage to all Twilio’s Messaging product and engineering teams!Responsibilities
In this role, you’ll:
- Own the design, implementation and the operations of Messaging backend services, handling hundreds of millions of requests and events per day.
- Design and develop elegant and scalable solutions across a wide variety of contexts including a highly available and responsive API guaranteeing 99.999% SLA.
- Interact extensively across all other engineering teams within Twilio and more specifically within other messaging teams to align on engineering architecture decisions.
- Live and champion mature, high-quality engineering through writing tests, valuing code maintainability, documenting your work, etc.
- Empower others via mentoring and coaching others, usually more junior engineers in and outside of your team.
Not all applicants will have skills that match a job description exactly. Twilio values diverse experiences in other industries, and we encourage everyone who meets the required qualifications to apply. While having “desired” qualifications make for a strong candidate, we encourage applicants with alternative experiences to also apply. If your career is just starting or hasn't followed a traditional path, don't let that stop you from considering Twilio. We are always looking for people who will bring something new to the table!
- Scalable backend. You understand scalability challenges and the performance of server-side code. You can design and develop horizontally-scalable, resilient and fault tolerant API’s and services.
- Databases. You have experience with multiple storage technologies and can reason about how to choose the suitable storage technology for a given purpose.
- Experience with JVM languages (Java experience is great). Go, Python, C# and Rust familiarity is also helpful.
- Cloud. You are proficient in cloud technologies and are hands-on in at least one cloud platform: GCP, AWS, or Azure. You are able to both design and develop cloud-based systems and operate them in an automated fashion.
- Testing. You are passionate about quality and can engineer it at all stages of software development. You are able to design and develop a quality pipeline requiring as little human intervention as possible.
- Operations. You like to own a domain end to end, including deployment and operation of your services in production.
- Communication and collaboration. You have strong communication skills and desire to make an impact and thrive in small, collaborative, energetic teams.
- Experience developing for AWS services - DynamoDB, SQS, and more.
- No stranger to Docker and containerisation in general - K8 would be a plus.
- Experience participating in development for large scale services.
- Experience in mentoring and supporting other engineers.
- BS in Computer Science, related field, or equivalent experience.
This role will be based in our Warsaw, Poland office.
Approximately 5% travel is anticipated.What We Offer
There are many benefits to working at Twilio, including, in addition to competitive pay, things like generous time-off, ample parental and wellness leave, healthcare, a retirement savings program, and much more. Offerings vary by location.Twilio thinks big. Do you?
We like to solve problems, take initiative, pitch in when needed, and are always up for trying new things. That's why we seek out colleagues who embody our values — something we call Twilio Magic. Additionally, we empower employees to build positive change in their communities by supporting their volunteering and donation efforts.
So, if you're ready to unleash your full potential, do your best work, and be the best version of yourself, apply now!
If this role isn't what you're looking for, please consider other open positions.