Staff Software Engineer -- Merchandising Core Platform at Chewy
What does it take to thrive as a Staff Software Engineer at Chewy? You need to be innovative, creative, responsible, and curious while leading a team of engineers to move quickly to deliver results for our customers. You’re excited about designing and implementing solutions that scale and engage customers to understand what’s needed to meet their needs. You’re able to think about platforms, architecture, design principles, understand operational implications, and lead us in evolving our service architecture in the course of a single conversation. You’re looking work with engineering leadership and mentor a team of bright, capable engineers to implement your vision.
What You'll Do:
- Design, develop and implement large scale distributed systems with large volumes of data focusing on scalability, latency and fault tolerance.
- Bring an expert understanding of the systems, their dependencies, have the ability to forecast and mitigate challenges every effectively
- Hold a high bar for the quality of the architecture and design of systems. You have the innate ability to keep it simple too
- Drive innovation through rapid prototyping and iterative development
- Work with a team of highly skilled engineers, developing and enabling highly scalable platforms to power our ecommerce ecosystem
- Be the expert when it comes to design principles, service-oriented architecture and developing applications of scale in the cloud while maintaining knowledge on industry innovations, trends and practices
- Set engineering excellence to the team and have the drive to focus on scalability, resiliency, high availability & performance of applications
- Actively mentor engineers, build and foster a strong engineering team culture and be a key contributor in raising the bar of the engineering org.
- Generate and analyze engineering metrics to inform leadership in making data driven decisions
- Champion quality initiatives and best practices to enable the team to continue to develop high quality, maintainable, and performant code
- Effectively communicate with and influence key stakeholders across the enterprise, at all levels of the organization
- Display excellent verbal and written communication and be able to convey dissenting opinions in a constructive manner, particularly written communications
- 15+ years of industry work experience
- 10+ years of experience leading and developing large scale projects and initiatives
- 10+ years of software engineering experience with Java
- Experience in building event Streams with Kafka & No-SQL
- Ability to collaborate effectively with a diverse, talented team
- Strong proven ability in building high-performance, highly-available and scalable distributed systems
- Strong knowledge of data structures, algorithms, and designing for performance, scalability, and availability
- Strong expert experience in cloud native technology stack (AWS) and service-oriented architecture
- Clear understanding of emerging technologies and ability to apply those principles in solving critical business needs
- Degree in Computer Science, Mathematics, or another related field
- Position may require travel
- Experience in merchandising domain is a plus.
- Strong engineering background building products that are ecommerce scale
- Prior roles in Ecommerce or in technology companies
- Experience working with AWS technologies
- Experience in building high performance systems
Chewy is committed to equal opportunity. We value and embrace diversity and inclusion of all Team Members.If you have a disability under the Americans with Disabilities Act or similar law, or you require a religious accommodation, and you wish to discuss potential accommodations related to applying for employment at Chewy, please contact HR at chewy dot com
If you have a disability under the Americans with Disabilities Act or similar law, or you require a religious accommodation, and you wish to discuss potential accommodations related to applying for employment at Chewy, please contact [email protected]