Staff Software Engineer, Front-End, UX Platform at ServiceNow (San Diego, CA)
At ServiceNow, our technology makes the world work for everyone, and our people make it possible. We move fast because the world can't wait, and we innovate in ways no one else can for our customers and communities. By joining ServiceNow, you are part of an ambitious team of change makers who have a restless curiosity and a drive for ingenuity. We know that your best work happens when you live your best life and share your unique talents, so we do everything we can to make that possible. We dream big together, supporting each other to make our individual and collective dreams come true. The future is ours, and it starts with you.
With more than 7,700+ customers, we serve approximately 85% of the Fortune 500®, and we're proud to be one of FORTUNE 100 Best Companies to Work For® and World's Most Admired Companies™.
Learn more on Life at Now blog and hear from our employees about their experiences working at ServiceNow.
Unsure if you meet all the qualifications of a job description but are deeply excited about the role? We still encourage you to apply! At ServiceNow, we are committed to creating an inclusive environment where all voices are heard, valued, and respected. We welcome all candidates, including individuals from non-traditional, varied backgrounds, that might not come from a typical path connected to this role. We believe skills and experience are transferrable, and the desire to dream big makes for great candidates.
What you get to do in this role:
As a Staff Software Design Engineer within the Platform UX Engineering group you will be responsible for leading key initiatives that go across different products and significantly affect our web component ecosystem that allows our customers to create innovative, elegant, and high performing experiences across multiple devices. The mandate of Platform UX Engineering is to ensure all our current and future UI efforts enable our company to scale to $10B and beyond.
The Platform UX Engineering group has teams that build out accessible, performant, metadata driven, consumer-grade web components that can be used to build future applications on our platform that delight our customers.
Our largest customers are always pushing the limits on front end usage and have high standards for concurrent users, accessibility, and overall usability of our web components. Performance, reliability, scalability, configurability and usability are always at the core of our work.
You will use your experience building web applications using modern technologies and your expertise in performance, architecture, and API definition and design to push the boundaries of our platform while building a strong foundation. You will lead teams to build highly interactive web-based application UIs that can scale with application complexity using metadata driven architectures.
Additional responsibilities and expectations:
- Collaborate with cross-functional engineering teams to develop new and improve on existing web component features.
- Provide technical leadership and be able to coach and mentor other software engineers in different methodologies.
- Provide perspective on leading industry trends, recommendations on new and emerging technologies, and are able to resolve complex technical problems.
- Build high quality web components with a focus on visual design details.
- Focus on user experience and of all kinds.
- Liaise between Design and Engineering teams to provide best in class user experiences. You will weave together strong design aesthetics with technical know-how. You will partner with researchers and designers to define and deliver new features, translate concepts into living, breathing prototypes, and iterate on interactions, animations, and details to deliver the perfect experience.
- Interpret business needs into effective visual communication tools.
- Translate high-level objectives and design principles into polished visual design and UX.
- Contribute to the ideation, concept development, and implementation of visual design concepts.
- Drive front end fit and finish, from pixel perfect layouts to animations, ensuring a polished experience is delivered to our customers.
- Be an SME on the key drivers and dependencies for what makes the UX come together for our users such as data, performance and navigation.
To be successful in this role you have:
6+ years of experience building high-quality user experiences end-to-end (large-scale enterprise products preferred) including:
- Expert level understanding of best practices for designing and implementing highly interactive user interfaces for high volume web applications. Particular emphasis on CSS experience.
- Expert level understanding of web technology standards; WCAG, W3C.
- Excellent eye and visual taste, including a passion for simplicity and a clean, crisp aesthetic.
- Deep knowledge of UX/UI design principles and techniques.
- Experience building responsive user interfaces for a wide variety of screens.
- Impeccable attention to detail.
- A collaborative attitude, bringing excellent communication and interpersonal skills.
- Strong understanding of the end-to-end UX/UI lifecycle, design principles and process.
- Must be organized and able to manage multiple competing priorities.
- Experience using methodologies such as Agile, Lean UX, and Lean Startup.
- Current with the latest UX and UI trends, techniques, and technologies.
- Strong level understanding of web protocols, browser support, and web development best practices; cross-browser compatibility, responsive design, performance, accessibility, internationalization, privacy, and security.
- Be an advocate for interaction design best practices with a focus on consistency and usability.
- Clear understanding of accessibility (contrast, font size, color, touch, and more) to achieve AA levels.
It'd be even better if you have:
- Experience developing a platform
- Experience developing a design system
- Experience working in a customer focused environment
- Loves web technologies
For positions in California (outside of the Bay Area), we offer a base pay of $136,800 - $239,400, plus equity (when applicable), variable/incentive compensation and benefits. Sales positions generally offer a competitive On Target Earnings (OTE) incentive compensation structure. Please note that the base pay shown is a guideline, and individual total compensation will vary based on factors such as qualifications, skill level, competencies and work location. We also offer health plans, including flexible spending accounts, a 401(k) Plan with company match, ESPP, matching donations, a flexible time away plan and family leave programs (subject to eligibility requirements). Compensation is based on the geographic location in which the role is located, and is subject to change based on work location. For individuals who will be working in the Bay Area, there is a pay enhancement for positions located in that geographical area; please contact your recruiter for additional information.
ServiceNow is an Equal Employment Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, creed, religion, sex, sexual orientation, national origin or nationality, ancestry, age, disability, gender identity or expression, marital status, veteran status or any other category protected by law.
At ServiceNow, we lead with flexibility and trust in our distributed world of work. Click here to learn about our work personas: flexible, remote and required-in-office.
If you require a reasonable accommodation to complete any part of the application process, or are limited in the ability or unable to access or use this online application process and need an alternative method for applying, you may contact us at [email protected] for assistance.
For positions requiring access to technical data subject to export control regulations, including Export Administration Regulations (EAR), ServiceNow may have to obtain export licensing approval from the U.S. Government for certain individuals. All employment is contingent upon ServiceNow obtaining any export license or other approval that may be required by the U.S. Government.
Please Note: Fraudulent job postings/job scams are increasingly common. Click here to learn what to watch out for and how to protect yourself. All genuine ServiceNow job postings can be found through the ServiceNow Careers site .
From Fortune. © 2022 Fortune Media IP Limited All rights reserved. Used under license.
Fortune and Fortune Media IP Limited are not affiliated with, and do not endorse products or services of, ServiceNow.