Staff Software Engineer-Customer Experience at H-E-B (San Antonio, TX)
H-E-B is one of the largest, independently owned food retailers in the nation operating over 420+ stores throughout Texas and Mexico, with annual sales generating over $34 billion. Described by industry experts as a daring innovator and smart competitor, H-E-B has led the way with creative new concepts, outstanding service and a commitment to diversity in our workforce, workplace and marketplace. H-E-B offers a wealth of career opportunities to our 145,000+ Partners (employees), competitive compensation and benefits program and comprehensive training that lead to successful careers.
H-E-B Digital builds the tech that feeds Texas.
Come join us at H-E-B Digital and be a partner in building the next generation of digital innovations that enhance how Texans find inspiration from food, make food decisions, and ultimately get food into their homes. We're using the best available technologies to deliver modern, engaging, reliable, and scalable experiences to meet the evolving needs of our growing audience.
Our digital solutions are growing in popularity and adoption-like Curbside and Home Delivery-so you'll get the opportunity to define the user experience for millions of customers and hundreds of thousands of Partners. If you're someone who enjoys collaborating with engineers with diverse backgrounds and skills to solve new challenges, working in a dynamic environment, learning new skills, and applying it all to solve large and impactful business problems, we want you as part of our team.
This is an exciting time to join H-E-B Digital, and we're hiring across the stack: front-end web and mobile, full-stack, and backend engineering. For more information, visit digital.heb.com
At H-E-B, we hire first for problem-solving and growth mindset. We do not expect you to have experience with all of these technologies; a few specific experiences and a desire to learn in this direction are most important. If you are in doubt, please apply anyway!
What we are looking for
- 8+ years of application development experience
- We work with Docker, Linux, AWS and Terraform. We're still interested if you are proficient with another cloud provider such as Google Cloud Platform or Microsoft Azure and other Infrastructure-as-code tools.
- We work most often with Java and Node.js with Typescript. We're still interested if you are proficient in other general purpose programming languages.
- We work most often with relational databases like MySQL and event-streaming with Kafka. We're still interested if you are proficient in other persistence and adjacent technology like Redis, Postgres, DynamoDB, and ElasticSearch.
- We're using GraphQL and REST for our APIs, depending on the needs of the API.
- Ownership mentality and a consistent track record of successful, high-quality results
- Enjoy learning new technologies as they emerge - An advanced understanding of development methodologies and processes
- Comprehensive knowledge of CS fundamentals: data structures, algorithms, and design patterns
- Advanced knowledge of system architecture and design patterns
- Experience with common software engineering tools such as Git, JIRA, Confluence, etc.
- High level of comfort in Agile development methodologies
- Experience implementing development, system, and process improvements for your team or organization
- Bachelor's degree in computer science or comparable field, or equivalent self-study
What you'll do (Design & Development)
- Lead initiatives, technical design, and delivery of complex features across multiple systems to improve user experiences
- Coach and mentor junior engineers in engineering techniques, processes, and new technologies; enable others to succeed
- Contribute to overall system design, architecture, security, scalability, reliability, and performance of applications
- Support the build and deployment pipeline and when necessary, both diagnose and solve production support issues
- Identify, scope, and architect solutions for new features while applying sound technical judgment that considers technology alternatives, impact on affected / adjacent systems, and tradeoffs
- Work with Product, Design, and QA to deliver world-class digital experiences
- Get the opportunity to stay ahead of new technologies with an eye to evaluating and potentially incorporating them into your team's architecture
- Apply understanding to help improve the cloud infrastructure that powers our high-performance, consumer-scale site and mobile apps
- Recommend changes to processes and tools at the team and organization level based on industry standards, patterns, and practices
- Diagnose / fix highly complex technical issues independently
- Identify and communicate cross-team dependencies
- Communicate individual and project-level development statuses, issues, risks, and concerns to technical leadership and management; research / advise technical leadership in vendor negotiations
- Create documentation and training related to technology stacks and standards within assigned team
- Provide end-to-end support to applications
- Immediate eligibility for quarterly bonuses based on company performance
- A robust Benefits plan with coverage starting Day One
- 10% off H-E-B brand products in-store and online starting Day One
- Parental Leave for new parents, adoptions included
- Adoption Assistance
- Family Planning Assistance through Progyny's fertility specialists
- Access to LGBTQ-focused healthcare concierge
- Access to H-E-B's full service, affordable primary care practice H-E-B Wellness Primary Care
- Access to other savings (gyms, phone, hotels, and more) through an online discount program
- Flexible work opportunities including WFH and hybrid options
H-E-B is one of the largest, independently owned food retailers in the nation operating over 400 stores throughout Texas and Mexico, with annual sales generating over $34 billion. Described by industry experts as a daring innovator and smart competitor, H-E-B has led the way with creative new concepts, outstanding service and a commitment to diversity in our workforce, workplace and marketplace. H-E-B offers a wealth of career opportunities to our 145,000+ Partners (employees), competitive compensation and benefits program and comprehensive training that lead to successful careers.