Staff Software Engineer - Core Storage at Uber
ABOUT THE ROLE:
Leads efforts within the organization to drive the development and maintenance of backend services and solutions to support user-facing products, downstream services, or infrastructure tools and platforms used across Uber.
ABOUT THE TEAM:
Staff engineers at Uber have a deep impact across a wide variety of business and technology decisions spanning multiple projects and locations. They are passionate and pragmatic technologists who are able to design scalable systems while delivering efficient code. They are not only collaborative role models, but also approachable thought leaders within a larger group. They are humble teachers, technically mentoring a team of talented engineers while also executing on delivering uniquely challenging projects.
As a staff engineer in Core Storage, the candidate will provide technical leadership in building the next generation data access layer that can serve majority of the online data serving use cases at Uber.
- Technical Competency: Sets the standard for leveraging relevant knowledge to build and maintain backend services and solutions to support user-facing products, downstream services, or infrastructure tools and platforms used across Uber, which could include developing and maintaining large-scale multi-tenant services and/or customized solutions based on existing backend infrastructure; monitoring on-prem or cloud-hosted software and infrastructure operations and detecting outages/issues in network or server environments; identifying, analyzing, and resolving system availability, reliability, and performance issues. Serves as a thought leader and expert within an organization on industry standards and best practices to solve highly complex problems. Establishes and leads the adoption of Uber technical and industry standards within an organization.
- Coding: Writes high-quality code (i.e., reliable, readable, efficient, testable), provides quality code reviews, and creates comprehensive tests and quality documentation to solve strategically important problems. This includes knowledge of data structures, algorithms, programming and associated programming languages and frameworks, and major phases/activities of the software research and development life cycle (e.g., requirements, design, build, experiment, test, debug, deploy, monitor). Directs and executes the resolution of complex technical problems within the organization according to standards and best practices.
- Design & Architecture: Directs efforts within organization to understand requirements and consolidate and translate strategically important business or technical problems into executable and extensible designs. Oversees design development that incorporates current short- and long-term needs, and can be extended for future needs. Identifies and reconciles architectural gaps and reduces technical debt within the organization.
- Efficiency & Being a Force Multiplier: Leads efforts within organization to leverage and improve existing solutions, develop extensible solutions, and reconcile gaps and redundancy for maximum impact. Identifies opportunities and advocates for optimal performance and efficiency in org-level technical architecture and processes.
- Operational Execution: Leads the delivery of solutions for multiple teams with drive and appropriate sense of urgency to deliver technical and business impact within organization. Plans, organizes, and manages tasks, resources, and timelines within the organization to accomplish work accurately and on time. Defines and diagnoses significant problems and determines an appropriate solution, recommendation, or decision while logically evaluating alternatives and factors (e.g., resources, costs, tradeoffs) and mitigating risks. Assigns ownership of components of solutions to other engineers or teams.
- Collaboration: Leverages the ideas/opinions of others from diverse perspectives and encourages team members to recognize their value. Seeks out, builds, and sustains diverse, strategic, collaborative, and trusting relationships within the organization. Recognizes conflict or disputes among people and situations; creates an inclusive environment to promote open communication and integration of diverse points of view within organization to align teams on shared goals.
- Citizenship: Enhances the effective functioning of Uber by participating in and promoting activities and efforts that contribute to the engineering and/or people culture within the organization and serving as a role model to others. Represents the organization to the broader community through participation in internally- and/or externally-focused engagements (e.g., tech talks, open source, conferences, team building).
- PhD or equivalent in Computer Science, Engineering, Mathematics or related field AND 4-years full-time Software Engineering work experience OR 7-years full-time Software Engineering work experience, WHICH INCLUDES 4-years total technical software engineering experience in one or more of the following areas:
- Programming language (e.g. C, C++, Java, Python, or Go)
- Note the 4-years total of specialized software engineering experience may have been gained through education and full-time work experience, additional training, coursework, research, or similar (OR some combination of these). The years of specialized experience are not necessarily in addition to the years of Education & full-time work experience indicated.
- Distributed systems
- Product engineering
- Scalability engineering
At Uber, we ignite opportunity by setting the world in motion. We take on big problems to help drivers, riders, delivery partners, and eaters get moving in more than 10,000 cities around the world.
We welcome people from all backgrounds who seek the opportunity to help build a future where everyone and everything can move independently. If you have the curiosity, passion, and collaborative spirit, work with us, and let's move the world forward, together.
Uber is proud to be an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, race, color, religion, national origin, disability, protected Veteran status, age, or any other characteristic protected by law. We also consider qualified applicants regardless of criminal histories, consistent with legal requirements. If you have a disability or special need that requires accommodation, please let us know by completing this form.