Staff Software Engineer, Compute at Twilio (Remote)
Join the team as our next Staff Software Engineer.Who we are & why we’re hiring
Twilio powers real-time business communications and data solutions that help companies and developers worldwide build better applications and customer experiences.
Although we're headquartered in San Francisco, we're on a journey to becoming a globally antiracist company that supports diversity, equity & inclusion wherever we do business. We employ thousands of Twilions worldwide, and we're looking for more builders, creators, and visionaries to help fuel our growth momentum.About the job
As a Software Engineer on the Twilio Engage Compute team, you’ll help us build and scale systems that process hundreds of thousands of requests per second in real-time and compute billions of data points per hour.
Twilio Engage is the world’s first growth platform powered by customer data. Imagine a platform that takes in hundreds of thousands of messages entering Twilio Segment’s pipelines every second, add in an identity graph, overlay high-speed databases and realtime and batch computation engines — and you have the Twilio Engage platform. This platform unlocks our ability to build key business growth features like audience management, real-time personalization, and data-driven marketing campaigns.
We iterate quickly on these products and features and learn new things daily — all while writing quality code. We work closely with product and design and solve some of the toughest engineering problems to unlock new possibilities for our customers. If you get excited by building products with high customer impact — this is the place for you.Responsibilities
In this role, you’ll:
- Work on advanced real-time compute features like windowed computations
- Scale our real-time compute clusters in production
- Build a distributed, multi-tenant batch compute engine that’s reliable and performant
- Build programmatic interfaces for creating, scheduling, and executing computations
- Scale our data processing pipelines to match growing customer demand
- Maintain a high bar of operational excellence for our systems and services
- Mentor engineers on the team, leading projects, providing guidance, and positively influencing their careers
Not all applicants will have skills that match a job description exactly. Twilio values diverse experiences in other industries, and we encourage everyone who meets the required qualifications to apply. While having “desired” qualifications make for a strong candidate, we encourage applicants with alternative experiences to also apply. If your career is just starting or hasn't followed a traditional path, don't let that stop you from considering Twilio. We are always looking for people who will bring something new to the table!
- 5+ years of experience writing production-grade code in a modern programming language
- Strong theoretical fundamentals and hands-on experience working with data and streaming technologies
- Highly effective collaborator who works well with teammates and product partners to deliver completed work on time
- Well-versed in concurrent programming
- Solid grasp of Linux systems and networking concepts
- Experience maintaining and operating always-on cloud services
- Comfortable asking questions and taking initiative to solve problems in a rapidly growing company, where it is often necessary to “draw the owl”
- Excellent written and verbal communications skills
- Experience with Apache Flink, Spark, or other distributed compute frameworks
- Familiarity with open source data streaming technologies
- Experience with Golang
- Experience with AWS infrastructure
This role will be remote and based in the USA.What We Offer
There are many benefits to working at Twilio, including, in addition to competitive pay, things like generous time-off, ample parental and wellness leave, healthcare, a retirement savings program, and much more. Offerings vary by location.Twilio thinks big. Do you?
We like to solve problems, take initiative, pitch in when needed, and are always up for trying new things. That's why we seek out colleagues who embody our values — something we call Twilio Magic. Additionally, we empower employees to build positive change in their communities by supporting their volunteering and donation efforts.
So, if you're ready to unleash your full potential, do your best work, and be the best version of yourself, apply now!
If this role isn't what you're looking for, please consider other open positions.
- The estimated pay range for this role, based in Colorado, is $160,080-200,100.
- Additionally, this role is eligible to participate in Twilio's equity plan.
The successful candidate’s starting salary will be determined based on permissible, non-discriminatory factors such as skills, experience, and geographic location within the state. This role is also eligible to participate in Twilio’s equity plan and for the following benefits: health care insurance, 401(k) retirement account, paid sick time, paid personal time off, paid parental leave.
Twilio is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. Twilio is proud to be an Equal Employment Opportunity and Affirmative Action employer. We do not discriminate based upon race, religion, color, national origin, sex (including pregnancy, childbirth, reproductive health decisions, or related medical conditions), sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, age, status as a protected veteran, status as an individual with a disability, genetic information, political views or activity, or other applicable legally protected characteristics. We also consider qualified applicants with criminal histories, consistent with applicable federal, state and local law. Additionally, Twilio participates in the E-Verify program in certain locations, as required by law.
Twilio is committed to providing reasonable accommodations for qualified individuals with disabilities and disabled veterans in our job application procedures. If you need assistance or an accommodation due to a disability, please contact us at [email protected]