GoodRx is America’s healthcare marketplace. Each month, millions of people visit goodrx.com to find reliable health information and discounts for their healthcare — and we’ve helped people save $35 billion since 2011. We provide prescription discounts that are accepted at more than 70,000 pharmacies in the U.S., as well as telehealth services including doctor visits and lab tests. Our services have been positively reviewed by Good Morning America, The New York Times, NBC News, AARP, and many others.
Our goal is to help Americans find convenient and affordable healthcare. We offer solutions for consumers, employers, health plans, and anyone else who shares our desire to provide affordable prescriptions to all Americans.
We’re committed to growing and empowering a more inclusive community within our company and industry. That’s why we hire and cultivate diverse teams of the best and brightest from all backgrounds, experiences, and perspectives. We believe that true innovation happens when everyone has a seat at the table and the tools, resources, and opportunities to excel.
With that said, research shows that women and other underrepresented groups apply only if they meet 100% of the criteria. GoodRx is committed to leveling the playing field, and we encourage women, people of color, those in the LGBTQ+ communities, and Veterans to apply for positions even if they don’t necessarily check every box outlined in the job description. Please still get in touch - we’d love to connect and see if you could be good for the role!
About the Role:
As a Staff Engineer (called Tech Lead here internally) you are the steward of a system or set of systems in relation to delivery of work relating to the Health Monetization and Rich Media Squad. You’re responsible for leading a team and ensuring its alignment of technical direction, establishing a technical vision, resolving technical disagreements and managing the quality of team deliverables.
Your effective technical leadership ensures the team uses appropriate engineering practices (such as CD or automated testing), you invest in continual improvements to tooling or technical debt, and ensure the system evolves to meet its changing needs and environment.
About the Squad:
GoodRx Health is an exciting new product from GoodRx, America’s digital resource for healthcare. Unlike other consumer health destinations, GoodRx Health takes a new approach to health information with concise, actionable knowledge delivered via GoodRx Answers, Health Wizard tools for navigating tough choices, and thousands of award-winning Explainer videos on today’s crucial health concerns.
More specifically, the Health Monetization and Rich Media Squad will be building out new features to support our GoodRx Health videos and related article content, as well as monetizing that content through customized Google Ad Manager implementations and related technologies.
Additionally this squad will be supporting our amazing editorial team through iterations on our custom CMS interface.
About the Tech:
We use Contentful, and we’re looking to push that technology to its limits to provide an amazing content creation experience for our editors, which in turn super-charges the benefits we can provide to our users. We do this via a Contentful App - a React application that reskins the CMS interface and talks to Contentful via its SDK.
The squad also does some work on our GraphQL Backend for Frontend, Python REST API, and various SEO enhancements to bring our content to more users.
Some experience being a technical leader for high-traffic React sites is required.
- Are a strong lead engineer responsible for the technical leadership for our Monetization and Rich Media Squad
- Are comfortable having one or two direct reports and the responsibility for their career growth
- Are responsible for driving end to end architectural design, and you do so with collaboration and inclusion in mind to ensure well rounded solutions.
- Are accountable for architecture design documents, and walk the team through relevant architecture aspects to maintain alignment
- Are team-oriented: you make an impact on the whole team, not just on specific parts of it
- You should be able to help their team with any technical challenges they have, even when they are not necessarily the expert.
- Coordinate team members in daily activity, ensuring the right work is being done and aligns with the technology strategy.
- Work with the engineering manager to define the right processes (ie just in time vs scheduled backlog grooming) for the team’s maturity level, balancing agility and discipline
- Help sequence stories based on technical dependencies
- Consider project timeline and technical complexity, skillset of team members, product & business requirements when designing solutions
- Promote software best practices as established by the team and organization
- Ensure stories incorporate relevant cross-functional requirements (eg performance)
- Are the point of escalation for tech/architecture decisions
- Participate in Technical Mentoring, Adoption and Alignment
- As the role states, is a leader within the team. As such, you lead by example, embodying the values of GoodRx. Inclusive of the software that is designed.
Skills & Qualifications:
- Experience leading technical direction as a Staff Level or Senior Engineer
- 7+ years of software development experience, delivering products at web scale
- Experience with React, TypeScript, React Context, NodeJS, ES6, consuming GraphQL
- Experience executing an automated testing strategy across unit, integration and end-to-end tests. Ability to continue shifting the team left.
- Ability to work effectively in teams of technical and non-technical individuals – you will work closely with other non-technical folks to get things done. Collaboration is key.
- Ability or desire to be a polyglot. Adapting to the tools and technologies appropriate for the job at hand.
- Ability to mentor and grow engineers and / or be mentored.
Nice To Have:
- Experience with ad-related technologies like GAM
- Experience with Content Management Systems like Contentful
- Experience with rich media / video on the web
- Experience with SEO: page speed, Web Vitals, crawl knowledge
- Building server side APIs using GraphQL, and to a lesser degree, REST
- Experience with AWS technologies including AppSync or Apollo Server, Lambda, StepFunctions, EventBridge
- Experience with tools like Datadog, or Runscope and Sentry
- WCAG 2.0+ AA and/or accessibility standards for web
- Familiarity with Content Delivery Network (CDNs) and caching strategy
- Knowledge with continuous integration, automated testing, and deployment tools like Travis, Circle, Drone, Heroku, AppEngine, or similar.
GoodRx is America's healthcare marketplace. The company offers the most comprehensive and accurate resource for affordable prescription medications in the U.S., gathering pricing information from thousands of pharmacies coast to coast, as well as a telehealth marketplace for online doctor visits and lab tests. Since 2011, Americans with and without health insurance have saved $35 billion using GoodRx and million consumers visit goodrx.com each month to find discounts and information related to their healthcare. GoodRx is the #1 most downloaded medical app on the iOS and Android app stores. For more information, visit www.goodrx.com.