Staff, DevOps Engineer - Cluster Reliability at Twilio (Remote)
Join the team as our next Staff Devops Engineer!Who we are & why we’re hiring
Twilio powers real-time business communications and data solutions that help companies and developers worldwide build better applications and customer experiences.
Although we're headquartered in San Francisco, we're on a journey to becoming a globally antiracist company that supports diversity, equity & inclusion wherever we do business. We employ thousands of Twilions worldwide, and we're looking for more builders, creators, and visionaries to help fuel our growth momentum.About the job
This position is part of a team of talented engineers who build and integrate infrastructure services that improve Twilio’s ability to provide products to customers while simultaneously delivering industry leading availability. We do this by leveraging great technology like Kubernetes, ClusterAPI, Metal³, and MetalLB, while also building our own services or contributing to open source projects.Responsibilities
In this role, you’ll:
- Deploy and maintain production ready infrastructure systems and services that support Twilio’s Email API applications
- Deploy and run production infrastructure on AWS and on-premise
- Contribute to automation improvements around cluster management
- Interact with other infrastructure systems via API.
- Identify infrastructure performance indicators and utilize telemetry tools for visibility and decision making
- Developing and execute automated testing around infrastructure
- Perform infrastructure performance tuning
- Generate documentation that enables customers to intuitively understand our provided services.
- Collaborate across multiple teams to build a strong understanding of our customers and their use cases
- Bring new ideas to life through drive and advocacy
- Actively drive inclusion and diversity in our organization
Not all applicants will have skills that match a job description exactly. Twilio values diverse experiences in other industries, and we encourage everyone who meets the required qualifications to apply. While having “desired” qualifications make for a strong candidate, we encourage applicants with alternative experiences to also apply. If your career is just starting or hasn't followed a traditional path, don't let that stop you from considering Twilio. We are always looking for people who will bring something new to the table!
- Experience deploying and running production infrastructure on AWS or other public cloud providers
- Experience with deploying, and running production infrastructure on-premise
- Deep familiarity with Linux and bash scripting
- Proficiency with one or more object oriented programming languages.
- A firm grasp of IP networking and load balancing concepts
- Hands on experience with containers and container orchestration tools such as such as docker swarm, nomad, and/or Kubernetes
- Past development involving backend databases or interacting with other systems via API.
- Experience identifying infrastructure performance indicators and utilizing telemetry tools such as Grafana and Prometheus
- Experience developing and executing automated testing around infrastructure
- Experience with infrastructure performance tuning
- A tenacity for learning - curious, and constantly pushing the boundary of what is possible
- Highly effective collaboration skills - you work with your team towards common goals
- A healthy ability to manage and resolve conflict - you have the ability to listen, present, and question effectively
- Self drive - you take complete ownership of your tasks and champion efforts to get your tasks to completion
- Degree in Computer Science or similar experience
- Building automation with Kubernetes operators
- Operational experience deploying and managing systems on bare metal
- Experience mentoring and providing technical leadership to junior engineers
This role will be based in our Bogota, Colombia office.
Approximately 0-10% travel is anticipated.What We Offer
There are many benefits to working at Twilio, including, in addition to competitive pay, things like generous time-off, ample parental and wellness leave, healthcare, a retirement savings program, and much more. Offerings vary by location.Twilio thinks big. Do you?
We like to solve problems, take initiative, pitch in when needed, and are always up for trying new things. That's why we seek out colleagues who embody our values — something we call Twilio Magic. Additionally, we empower employees to build positive change in their communities by supporting their volunteering and donation efforts.
So, if you're ready to unleash your full potential, do your best work, and be the best version of yourself, apply now!
If this role isn't what you're looking for, please consider other open positions.