Staff Backend Engineer, Crypto at Reddit (Remote)
Our mission is to bring community and belonging to everyone in the world. Reddit is a community of communities where people can dive into anything through experiences built around their interests, hobbies, and passions. With more than 50 million people visiting 100,000+ communities daily, it is home to the most open and authentic conversations on the internet. From pets to parenting, skincare to stocks, there’s a community for everybody on Reddit. For more information, visit redditinc.com.
The Internet is the most important public square in history. It shapes economies and elections, relationships and futures. Yet it is controlled by a handful of powerful platforms, who shape the Internet to their own advantage.
People have lost trust in the Internet. They don’t have control over it, and they don’t own the things online that are most important to them. It is time for a change. A big one. We need a new model for how the Internet should work – one that puts people back in charge – and the Crypto team at Reddit is leading the way.
This is a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity to shape the future of the Internet. The Crypto team is a special team at Reddit designed to take on a moonshot project: building an entirely new model for the Internet and social media on top of blockchain and decentralized technologies. With Reddit’s 500 million users and tens of thousands of communities, our goal is to reach widespread, mainstream adoption of a more decentralized Internet where people, not platforms, have real ownership and control.
The way there is not easy. We are looking for a Staff Backend Engineer who wants to work on hard, unsolved problems – such as making blockchain scale to millions of people, designing new incentive models for decentralized networks, and building the right tools to empower people and communities to take control of their lives online.Responsibilities
- Design new types of decentralized networks and infrastructure at the scale of millions of users
- Build backend services to support innovative user experiences
- Develop smart contracts and integrate them with Reddit
- Contribute meaningfully to team strategy
- Communicate across the organization and work effectively throughout the Reddit stack
- You have built backend services for large-scale distributed systems (ideally 8+ years experience). We work primarily in Go, with some Python, and our stack runs on Kubernetes, GRPC, and Postgres.
- You have experience deploying critical infrastructure into production.
- You have a deep understanding of multiple parts of the backend stack, from databases to networking to efficient computing.
- You are incredibly competent and do not require hand-holding. Experience leading a startup or a major project is a big plus. We are looking for people who can contribute from day 0.
- Blockchain experience is not necessary. If you are an exceptional backend engineer, we want to talk to you, whether or not you’ve worked in crypto before.
Reddit is committed to providing reasonable accommodations for qualified individuals with disabilities and disabled veterans in our job application procedures. If you need assistance or an accommodation due to a disability, please contact us at [email protected].