We created Upside to help communities thrive! Our retail technology uses the sophistication of online retail—profit measurement, attribution, and incrementality—to provide users with more value on their everyday purchases and brick and mortar businesses with new, profitable customers. We’ve helped millions of users earn 2 to 3 times more cash back than any other product, and tens of thousands of brick and mortar businesses earn measurable profit. Billions of dollars in commerce runs through the Upside platform every year, and that value goes directly back to our local retailers, the consumers they serve, and towards important sustainability initiatives. Our mission, values, and commitment to inclusivity guide our team of more than 200 people worldwide, and the quality of our culture is reflected in the impact we’ve had on communities nationwide.
Meet the Engineering team:
The Engineering team at Upside is a close-knit group of hardworking, fast-learning individuals that believes in our mission to help communities thrive. We believe in a data-driven approach to decision-making and an encouraging culture that emphasizes learning from our mistakes. We debate and deliberate on the best ideas to improve our tech stack, and strive for an inclusive atmosphere that champions the psychological wellness of all of our teammates.
What you'll do:
- Develop and maintain the foundational application stack for our software developers
- Integrated abstracted Access and Identity controls
- Provision turn-key logging, metrics and alerting capabilities
- Provide the AWS stack for developers to use as they write REST, Streaming or other types of services.
- Help implement SDLC by driving the applications to use gated CI and eventually CD.
- Productize our infrastructure. At Upside, our infrastructure is a product!
- Pair closely with and provide guidance to product engineering teams to help them create the infrastructure needed for their systems.
- Identify common patterns used by product teams and build out automation and templates for use in the rest of the company
- Improve developer velocity by optimizing CI/CD workflows and implementing self-service tools for infrastructure requests.
- Improve application and network security with industry standard methodologies (e.g. using secrets management tools, locking down AWS VPCs/Subnets/Security Groups).
- Work with our InfoSec team to monitor systems and help promote security best practices.
What you bring:
- You’re a software engineer first. You believe that infrastructure teams are just another product team whose customers just happens to be the broader engineering organization.
- You strive to find ways to automate tasks in a repeatable fashion. “If it’s worth doing, it’s worth automating”
- You have strong analytical, organizational, and prioritization skills.
- You have familiarity with performance monitoring in a distributed architecture with tools such as those provided by DataDog or NewRelic.
- You understand continuous integration and deployment standards and implementation.
- You understand application security and compliance standard methodologies.
- You’re not afraid to try new things. You’re not even afraid to fail. You want to be challenged daily.
- You are passionate about working in a dynamic and growing startup environment with a tight-knit, encouraging engineering team that strives to make work exciting, challenging, and fun.
- You have a constant desire for learning and self-improvement.
Our Technology Stack:
- Python for Automation
- Kubernetes clusters in AWS EKS
- Java microservices using 12-factor principles
- AWS Lambdas written in Java and Python 3
- Jenkins and Github Action CI/CD pipeline
- AWS Services managed through Terraform (RDS (MySQL), DynamoDB, S3, Athena, SNS, SQS, IAM, VPCs, Elasticache)
The fine print:
- Upside employees are currently working from home during the COVID-19 pandemic. Afterward our engineering teams are adopting a hybrid approach that can support full-time remote work while enabling in-person meetups as necessary.
- Notice to recruiters and placement agencies: This is an in-house search with a dedicated resource. Please do not submit resumes to any person or email address at Upside. Upside is not liable for, and will not pay, placement fees for candidates submitted by any party or agency other than its approved recruitment partners.
At Upside, we believe that diversity drives innovation. Our differences are what make us stronger. We‘re passionate about building a workplace that represents a variety of backgrounds, skills, and perspectives and does not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status. Everyone is welcome here. Come join us!#LI-CS1