Sr Staff Network Engineer at ServiceNow (San Diego, CA)
At ServiceNow, our technology makes the world work for everyone, and our people make it possible. We move fast because the world can't wait, and we innovate in ways no one else can for our customers and communities. By joining ServiceNow, you are part of an ambitious team of change makers who have a restless curiosity and a drive for ingenuity. We know that your best work happens when you live your best life and share your unique talents, so we do everything we can to make that possible. We dream big together, supporting each other to make our individual and collective dreams come true. The future is ours, and it starts with you.
With more than 7,400+ customers, we serve approximately 80% of the Fortune 500, and we're on the 2021 list of FORTUNE World's Most Admired Companies®.
Learn more on Life at Now blog and hear from our employees about their experiences working at ServiceNow.
What you get to do in this role:
- Design and deploy networks based on business and technical requirements.
- Partner with project and program managers to meet overall timelines and resolution of issues.
- Operate and troubleshoot networks to identify and resolve issues quickly.
- Take a lead role in the engagement and mitigation of outage causing events or issues.
- Validate problem descriptions and perform detailed problem diagnosis; track and update problems in trouble-ticketing system.
- Perform non-critical investigations into functionality that is not working as desired.
- Engage deeply in the sustainment function to proactively analyze network parameters such as capacity and availability to ensure issues are fixed before they cause an outage.
- Review, consult and prepare for planned change introduction to production environment.
- Participate in rotating "on call" schedule with other members of the team including weekends.
- Partner with teams to plan and execute software code upgrades and device maintenance.
- Partner with the Site Reliability Engineering (SRE) team to provide mentorship and input on operational process improvements.
- Provide feedback to infrastructure architects on design issues or improvements and input into the design process for new initiatives.
Sample first 6-month deliverables
- Quickly integrate into the environment and gain a solid understanding of network architecture, organization, and process/procedures.
- Deploy capacity into a datacenter based on demand.
- Participate in incident bridges and serve as the networking engineering resource to troubleshoot and mitigate outages.
- Take ownership of a minimum of two datacenters perform all sustainment engineering functions.
- Partner with the SRE team to identify and solve one network process issue.
To be successful in this role you have:
- 10+ years of experience with a solid foundation in networking including routing, switching, security and load balancing.
- 2+ years of experience with cloud computing technologies (e.g. Azure, AWS, Google Cloud Platform, etc.) across Windows and/or Linux
- Azure Core Platform: Compute, Storage, Networking.
- Azure Web Apps: developing, deploying, debugging and supporting web applications using .NET, Java, PHP, Python, Node.js etc. on Windows or Linux.
- Continuous Integration/Continuous Deployment (CI/CD): using DevOps, Bit Bucket, GitHub.
- Experience in one or more automation languages (PowerShell, shell scripts, Perl, Python, Ansible, Terraform) desired.
- A minimum of 5 years of experience in working on Internet and data center networks.
- Possess a solid understanding of and have experience with most of the following network technologies: BGP, OSPF, IS-IS, HSRP/VRRP, IPSEC, SNMP.
- Deep, hands-on experience with TCP/IP protocols including capturing and analyzing traffic with Wireshark and/or other tools.
- Familiarity with Cisco IOS and JunOS operating systems required.
- F5 and Cisco ASA knowledge and experience strongly desired.
- Experience with network monitoring applications such as EMC Watch4Net, Cacti, Splunk is a plus.
- Ability to partner with peers who are globally distributed is a key part of this role.
- Passion for customer experiences and focus on delivering high quality support.
- Strong communication skills and empathy for customers.
- Ability to learn new technology in a fast-paced environment.
- Ability to deal with ambiguity.
ServiceNow is an Equal Employment Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, creed, religion, sex, sexual orientation, national origin or nationality, ancestry, age, disability, gender identity or expression, marital status, veteran status or any other category protected by law.
All new employees hired in the United States are required to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19, subject to such exceptions as required by law. If hired, you will be required to submit proof of full vaccination or have an approved accommodation, by your start date. Visit our Candidate FAQ page to learn more.
If you require a reasonable accommodation to complete any part of the application process, or are limited in the ability or unable to access or use this online application process and need an alternative method for applying, you may contact us at [email protected]icenow.com for assistance.
For positions requiring access to technical data subject to export control regulations, including Export Administration Regulations (EAR), ServiceNow may have to obtain export licensing approval from the U.S. Government for certain individuals. All employment is contingent upon ServiceNow obtaining any export license or other approval that may be required by the U.S. Government.
Please Note: Fraudulent job postings/job scams are increasingly common. Click here to learn what to watch out for and how to protect yourself. All genuine ServiceNow job postings can be found through the ServiceNow Careers site .
Work personas are categories that are assigned to employees depending on the nature of their work. Employees will fall into one of three categories: Remote, Flexible or Required in Office.
Required in Office
A required in office work persona is defined as an employee who is contracted to work from or aligned to a ServiceNow-affiliated office. This persona is required to work from their assigned workplace location 100% of the work week based on the business needs of their role.
A flexible work persona is defined as an employee who is contracted to work from or aligned to a ServiceNow-affiliated office and will work from their assigned workplace location roughly 3 days/week or less (generally around 40-60% of the work week). Flexible employees may choose to work the remaining working time from their workplace location or home. Flexible employees are required to work within their state, province, region, or country of employment.
A remote work persona is defined as an employee who performs their responsibilities exclusively outside of a ServiceNow workplace and is not contracted or aligned to a ServiceNow-affiliated office, including those whose place of work (pursuant to their terms and conditions of employment) is their home. Remote employees are required to work within their state, province, region, or country of employment.